[Closed] August 29, 2014 - Back to School Contest

It's back to school season. To cope with the joys (and pains) of returning to high school, college, and the like, Wattpad is hosting a scholastic-themed writing challenge with the help of Georgetown Academy authors, Jessica Koosed Etting and Alyssa Embree Schwartz!

What Do I Write About?

The theme of this contest is back to school, so we are asking Wattpadders to write a short fanfiction story or a series of oneshots wherein the characters must navigate the ins and outs of an educational environment of some sort. "School" can be loosely interpreted here, depending on the fandom universe (for example, a Teen Wolf fic works as it is, but for other fandoms, you'll have to get slightly more creative). All fandoms are welcome, but please stick to one.

Please use a minimum of five (5) of the following writing prompts to inform or direct your story. You can rearrange them as you see fit and weave your own plot through them. The prompts can form a coherent whole (i.e., a five-chapter short story) or can standalone (i.e., five oneshots).

One: write a chapter in which a character is caught passing notes in class.

Two: write a chapter that takes place in a cafeteria.

Three: write a chapter in which a character reluctantly participates in an extracurricular activity.

Four: write a chapter in which a character undergoes an initiation into a clique or elite social group.

Five: write a chapter in which a character learns something unexpected.

Six: write a chapter in which a character must spend detention with an enemy.

Seven: write a chapter in which a character bullies or is bullied during or after school.

Eight: write a chapter in which a character skips class to do something they consider more productive.

Nine: write a chapter in which drama ensues at a school event (such as a sporting match, a play, an election).

Ten: write a chapter in which a character narrowly avoids getting in trouble from an authority figure.

Things to Consider

• Pay attention to your grammar and spelling to make sure that your story is understandable and accessible.

• Try to convey feeling and emotion in your story with ample depth and detail.

• Keep your content appropriate for all Wattpadders to enjoy (G, PG, or PG-13).

Submission

To participate, post your entry from your Wattpad profile as a NEW story and tag your submission with "fanficfriday" and "backtoschool." The deadline for submissions is Thursday September 11th at 11:59 EST. Along with a creative story title, please ensure you indicate the fandom you are writing about in brackets (i.e., [Harry Potter]). You can submit one (1) story or oneshot collection for this contest.

Dates & Judges

The contest will run for two weeks, starting today, Friday August 29th and ending Thursday September 11th at 11:59 EST. The authors of Georgetown Academy, Jessica Koosed Etting and Alyssa Embree Schwartz, will choose three (3) winners, and we will announce them on Friday September 19th.

To celebrate our favorite entries, the winners of the Back To School Contest will receive a shoutout from the Fanfic profile, have their story added to an appropriately-themed reading list, and be mentioned on our social media channels.

Happy writing!

"In a town where one misstep can turn into a national scandal, the students at D.C.'s elite Georgetown Academy know there's only one rule: whatever you do, don't get caught." Check out Georgetown Academy on Wattpad.

This contest is now closed. Check out the winners, here. Stay tuned for more writing challenges!