CHAPTER THREE - THE APOLOGY

Start from the beginning

Suddenly I saw somebody's shadow over me. I looked back and saw that it was Victor. He said: "Don't bother, I already got scissors for you." He handed me scissors and I said: "Thank you!" He sat down next to me and watched as I took Claire's doll to measure it.

When I was finished with all of the dresses, Victor said it was almost supper time. He hadn't left when I was sewing the dresses. He just sat there and talked to my and the three small girls.

We headed in and Victor was carrying the sewing machine. He put it down and we stepped in the dining room. Everybody sat on their place's. Mine was next to the grumpy Scottish boy. 

Fiona walked in with Emma and they were carrying big plates of food. On Fiona's plate, were carrots that were almost six time as big as normal carrots. They were surrounded by the biggest peas I had ever seen. Emma was carrying a meat plate.

They put the plates on the table and everybody started eating.

After everybody had eaten, children headed back to their rooms. Small children had nap time after lunch. I tucked three smaller girls in and left their room. When I entered my room, I had no idea what to do. I took my suit case from under my bed and opened it. In there lied my Winsor&Newton's aquarelle pan. I took it out and put it carefully next to me. Next I took out, what seemed to be a folded cloth . Actually it was my brush case. I put it carefully next to the aquarelle's. Finally I took out my sketchbook. It had dark leather covers. It was filled with special aquarelle papers. My name, Dorothea Allerton, was written on the dark cover, with dainty golden letters. These three things were my most prized possessions.

I took my painting stuff and left my room. Everything was so quiet and peaceful. Nobody was shouting or running around. I didn't have anything against, it's just sometimes it gets overwhelming. I walked down the stairs very quietly to not disturb or wake somebody up. 

I stepped in the yard. It was empty. I took a quick walk in the garden to find the best place to paint. I passed small fountain. An empty jar was sitting on the edge of the fountain. I filled the jar with water and took it with me hoping that nobody would miss it.

After a small walk I found myself at the beginning of a small grove. I walked into the grove. Instantly I saw a big tree and sat down resting my back on the tree, facing the children's home. I put my stuff and opened my sketchbook. I rolled my brush case open and started painting the view.

Enoch's •POV•

I was sitting behind my favourite tree. Nobody comes here. I was messing around with my homunculi and reading. Suddenly I heard somebody humming. That seemed weird. Everybody should be in their rooms and smaller kids should be having a nap. The humming grew louder and words came out of nowhere. 

Des yeux qui font baisser les miens
Un rire qui se perd sur sa bouche
Voilà le portrait sans retouches
De l'homme auquel j'appartiensQuand il me prend dans ses bras
Il me parle tout bas
Je vois la vie en roseIl me dit des mots d'amour
Des mots de tous les jours
Et ça me fait quelque choseIl est entré dans mon cœur
Une part de bonheur
Dont je connais la causeC'est lui pour moi, moi pour lui dans la vie
Il me l'a dit, l'a juré pour la vieEt dès que je l'aperçois
Alors je sens en moi
Mon cœur qui batDes nuits d'amour à plus finir
Un grand bonheur qui prend sa place
Des ennuis, des chagrins s'effacent
Heureux, heureux à en mourirQuand il me prend dans ses bras
Il me parle tout bas
Je vois la vie en roseIl me dit des mots d'amour
Des mots de tous les jours
Et ça me fait quelque choseIl est entré dans mon cœur
Une part de bonheur
Dont je connais la causeC'est toi pour moi, moi pour toi dans la vie
Il me l'a dit, l'a juré pour la vieEt dès que je t'aperçois
Alors je sens dans moi
Mon cœur qui bat
La la, la la, la la
La la, la la, ah la
La la la la

When the song ended, I woke from some kind of  a trance, I didn't know I was in. The voice singing was beautiful, I didn't exactly know the language of the song but I believed it was French.  I stood up and walked around the tree to see who was singing there.

The new girl was sitting there. Painting the view of the house. She was surrounded by brushes and a jar full of water. So that's where my jar disappeared, I thought to myself. She abruptly looked up and said: "First of all, this jar was on the edge of the fountain. Second of all, what the bloody hell are you doing here?" "I could ask you the same thing, I believe I was here first," I said. "Fine, I'll leave, satisfait***? No need to be rude, I didn't do anything to you," she said to me and I could hear sad tones from her voice. "When have I ever be rude?" I asked with sarcasm. "Every time you talk to me. When I returned your doll, you didn't say thank you. When I have been nice to you, you just ignore it and are rude," she said and I could see she was hurt.

She started packing her stuff. When she emptied the jar, she forced it in my hands and started to leave. Then happened something, I thought would never happen. I shouted to her: "I'm sorry!" She didn't even look back and said: "Too late." She left me standing there wondering why the hell would I say sorry to her.

*1940s sewing machine brand

**You stupid!

***Satisfied?

A/N: Hi guys, thank you so much for reading my book! I saw that some of you added it to your reading list's and I'm so thankful. I really hope you enjoy this chapter and I'm really sorry if I had some mistakes in it. The picture on the top is the one Dorothea was painting, because it seemed so similar to the children's home I was imagining when I read the books. What do you think is going on with Enoch? Love all of you and good day or night or whatever it is where you are!

-Saya