CHAPTER ONE - PROLOGUE

Monday, 29th October 1956

A girl is quickly stuffing her brown leather suitcase. It's the middle of the night. Every human except her, in this house, is already sleeping. After some time, the girl finally stops packing. She takes a brown looking envelope in one hand, her leather suitcase in other and steps out of the room.

She steps into the lobby and puts her coat on. The girl looks nearly 16. Way too young to go out at this time of the night but she doesn't seem to care. She puts the envelope in her pocket, puts on her beige beret, takes the suitcase in her hand, closes the door and leaves this house forever.

She runs through the dark streets, like something is after her. Every now and then she looks over her shoulder but the streets are empty. Nobody is following her.

She reaches a little harbour and sits down on a worn-out bench, what used to be white but now you can't really tell if it's white or beige, almost yellow. After she's sat there for some time a ferry appears from the horizon. The closer it gets, the more you can see, in how bad of a condition the ferry is. The color is hatched and looks rusty. The railing is flimsy and if somebody would lean on it, it would certainly break. It looks dirty but nothing else would help her on this island.

The girl gets up. She's heading on the ferry. The girl walks on the ferry's deck, a rusty bench catches her eye and she heads that way. She puts her suitcase on the ground and lays down on the bench. As soon as the ferry starts moving she fells asleep.

Dream•

She is standing in the corner of, what seems to be the living room. A boy with ebony locks and beautiful dark brown eyes walks in, next to him stands a little girl, she is wearing a pink dress and has golden locks. She looks at the boy with a confused look and asks: "Where is everybody else?" Dark-haired boy answers: "Calm down Claire, they will come." Little by little other kids are starting to flood in. When everybody has found their seat, a boy in a suit walks in the room and sits in the armchair. Nobody seems to notice a girl in the corner of the room. The boy in the suit puts on his monocle and starts to project something on the wall. The boy in the suit appears on the screen, he looks himself in the mirror wearing dark blue very fine suit and says: "Very good! I'll take about three of these."
Suddenly the picture changes. The girl is surprised when she sees herself on the screen. She is in the harbour waiting for the ferry and sitting on the bench. Everybody starts to whisper and the little girl from before, whispers to the dark-haired boy: "Look Enoch, she looks like a pretty princess." The boy called Enoch didn't say anything, he just watched the little girl and smiled. It wasn't a big smile, actually it was almost invisible but it was still a smile. 
Reality•

The girl woke up to the ferry stopping by the little dock in Cairnholm. She stepped out of the ferry onto the island. It was still pretty dark and quite foggy. Her watch showed that it was four o'clock in the morning. She took out envelope from her coat pocket and opened it. When she finished reading the letter what was inside the envelope, she already knew where she had to head. She went through the little village. All the windows were dark.

She walked until the sun was peeking over the horizon and she stopped when a small cave came into her sight. She headed straight into the cave. When she walked out on the other side, the sky was clear and the sun was rising. There was no sign of fog. In the distance stood a big mansion like house. She headed straight to the house. 

She knocked on the door. A woman with black dress and tidy bun opened the door. The girl said: "Hi! I'm sorry to bother you at this hour. I'm Dorothea Allerton and I need a place to stay." The woman answered: "Hi Mrs. Allerton, I'm Mrs. Peregrine. Please come in."

Dorothea's •POV•

Mrs. Peregrine guided me into big living room which I recognized from my dream. She sat down on the couch and asked me to sit. I put my suitcase down and sat on the couch. She asked me: "Do you know what this place is?" I thought for a little and answered: "If you mean, do I know that this is a home for peculiar children then, yes." Where does she come from and how does she know how to get in here? I heard Mrs. Peregrine thinking. "I'm not from any other loop but my grandma gave me this letter before she died. In here she explained what am I and how to get here," I said to avoid the question she was about to ask. "Oh, as I see you can read minds Mrs. Allerton," she said. I nodded. I yawned. It was almost five in the morning and I hadn't sleep all night. Mrs. Peregrine obviously noticed that and led me to my new room. "We will continue this conversation in the morning and you will introduce yourself to other children in the breakfast table," she added and headed out. "Wait, Mrs. Peregrine, when are we?" I stopped her. "3rd September 1940," she said and left.

I opened my suitcase and took out my clothes. The room had a beautiful dresser with many drawers, I put my things away in the drawer. The bed seemed so soft and it was almost calling my name. I changed and as soon as my head touched the pillow, I fell into deep slumber.

A/N: I really hope you guys like this story please vote and comment. If I had any mistakes please let me know. Hope you all are doing well.
-Saya