I shouldn't have been surprised when she kissed me, she had been playing my hair and whispering in my ear as though she were telling me secrets that were for my ears only. But when her lips touched mine, my body just reacted. Her lips were softer than I remembered and they tasted like cranberry juice alcohol. She pecked my lips once more before pulling away and taking a sip of her drink.

'I think Jerome's here,' she said quietly.

'Who?'

The Texan let out the softest of laughs while looking at her drink. 'Your ex boyfriend. His new girl is... okay.'

'How okay?'

'She's cute but she's a downgrade from you. That's to be expected,' Normani responded as she looked me in the eye. She looked away after a moment and I couldn't help but smile.

'You still haven't changed. I mean the eye contact thing.' I turned around to look at who Jarryd was with myself under the guise of picking my drink up from the table in front of us.

Normani quirked an eyebrow, her expression equal parts bemused and inquisitive. 'Do you know her?'

'That's my friend Brianna.'

Before she could answer, Jarryd and Brianna walked up to us. At least they both had the decency to look ashamed as they stood there waiting for me to acknowledge them. I refused to speak first or even give them my attention and neither of them had the guts to say anything so the awkward silence stretched out.

Normani let out a quiet sigh before flashing them one of her dazzling smiles. 'Hi, the party's upstairs.'

'So you're hooking up with strangers in clubs now,' Jarryd asked, completely ignoring Normani.

'This stranger is my girlfriend and she probably knows me better than both of you combined.'

'So you're gay now.'

I was trying hard to keep my anger in check. Had Normani not been sitting there I would have said something rude and thrown my drink in his face. As it was, I was struggling to convincing myself that it was a bad idea.

'Xavier didn't mention that you would be bringing anyone

Maybe because it's none of your business Jarryd? But I'm just guessing,' I replied, putting as much contempt as I could into my words. Before I could continue my tirade, I felt Normani intertwine our fingers and squeeze my had reassuringly. I looked down at our hands before looking up at her.

'Maybe we should go upstairs and find Xavier?'

'Okay,' I let out the breath that I had been holding and calmed down almost instantly. Normani smiled, pleased that I was listening to her. We got our purses and just as we were about to walk up the stairs, Brianna stopped me.

'Dinah wait, it just happened. We were talking and one thing led to another. I didn't want you to find out like this.'

I scoffed. 'Did one thing lead to another before or after we broke up?'

'I can explain—'

'–that's what I thought. Come on Mani, let's go.'

We found Lauren and Ty at the bar and I left Normani with them while I went to go and wish Xavier a happy birthday. When I got back, Normani was introducing Sam and Jilly to Lauren and Ty. I reached for her hand instinctively and she pulled me closer while still talking to Jilly and Sam.

'You should all come over for brunch some time. Invite Ally, Choie and Zendaya. We'd love to have you.'

'We would love that,' Lauren said with a smile and just like that, we were invited for brunch next weekend.