Chapter 22 ~ Peter Pan

Flying through the magical portal was like being inside a kaleidoscope. There were ever-changing shapes of all sizes and colors. Some were abstract, while others were more identifiable. Mia thought she could make out something that looked like a crocodile, a clock, a ship, trees, and mountains. She could almost hear the sound of children singing. However, it was over as soon as it had begun.

As they broke through to the other side, Mia was greeted with a bird's-eye view of a landmass which she'd only ever seen in films and storybook pictures. It was the island! The fabled island that every child has dreamed of exploring until adulthood crushes such impossible fantasies. Mia's hands moved to Peter's arms, which were shockingly toned, gripping them tightly as she gazed at the view below.

"Oh my God," she murmured. "Neverland! It's really Neverland!"

The sight of the beautiful, majestic island lay claim to Mia's heart and sense of adventure. Two weeks ago, it was a magical but impossible place from her childhood that only existed in stories. And now it was real. There was a scent in the air, one which was quite foreign to Earth or even Cerenopia. Mia could smell the winds of adventure all around her. The salty smell of the sea, the sulfuric scent of cannon fire, and the smoky aroma of native bonfires all combined to form one amazing musk that made her heart pound. There, just below them, was Mermaids' Lagoon, and in the distance a column of smoke rose from the treetops at the northwestern part of the island. That must be the Indian village!

Island natives, Mia corrected herself.

She must at all costs avoid the stereotypes of the late ambassadors, who mistakenly confused Native Americans for Indians. And certainly, these island natives could not be Native Americans, but perhaps something akin to a tribal culture of a bygone era. Of course, Mia also had not forgotten the island's other notorious inhabitants. Pirates. However, she was quite relieved to see that there was no sign of the Jolly Roger. Perhaps Captain Hook was sailing elsewhere. Personally, Mia hoped he was on an extended vacation.

As they soared serenely over mountains and lush forests, Mia was finally feeling more comfortable being flown through the air until Peter suddenly called out, "Let's go, Tink!" and shot down towards the island at full speed. Mia's stomach jumped and her heart leapt into her throat. It was like being on a thrill ride at an amusement park; only this was no amusement park. The only thing keeping her from a fatal crash to the ground was a little boy who seemed to delight in frightening people.

"Woah! Slow down!" Mia screamed, clutching at Peter's arms as the ground came up to meet them far too quickly.

Peter let out a mischievous laugh and came to an abrupt halt. Then he let her go, dropping her a whopping three feet to the greenery below. Mia's scream was cut short as she landed on her back. The lush foliage cushioned her fall in a way that defied physics.

More youthful laughter rang in her ears as a pair of feet touched the ground in front of her. A hand lowered, offering to help her up. Mia begrudgingly accepted the hand offered to her. Despite this gentlemanly gesture, she was pretty miffed at him. Mia was ready to give him a piece of her mind until he pulled her up and she came face to face with him. Mia gasped and drew back her hand.

"Wh-Who are you?"

The boy - or young man, from the look of it - frowned at her. "Seriously? You and that lady back on Main Street both said my name just a couple minutes ago. And people say I have a short memory. Sheesh!"

Carefully, Mia looked him up and down. The lean body was clothed in an earthy-toned patchwork of woven leaves. This and the mess of reddish-brown hair and subtly pointed ears was enough evidence that the person who'd kidnapped her and flown her to Neverland was exactly who he ought to be. But that sculpted chest, those toned arms, and the fact that she was eye to eye with him, a boy of her height, was throwing her for a loop. And that mischievous elfish face, while certainly youthful, was not that of a mere child. This boy looked like he could be a senior in high school. In fact, Mia wouldn't have been surprised if she came across a picture of this boy in an old yearbook.