Tour of the Palace

The next morning, I'm in the tea parlor, sipping apple cider and trying not to think about the doctor's appointment , when the Duchess arrives.

She's dressed splendidly, as always. A bright aqua dress hugs her figure and sweeps the floor. Her hair is curled and falls down her shoulders in elegant waves.

"Come with me, please," she says.

It's happening. She's taking me back to Dr. Skylar. That's all I can think as I stand.

"Where are we going, my lady?" I ask, a raspy whisper. Claire shoots me a sharp look as if I'm not supposed to ask questions. The Duchess frowns.

"I wish to show you something. Come along, please."

My stomach turns as I follow her out of my chambers, back through the open gallery, and I think I know where we're going and my heart starts to race. But then the Duchess turns down a different hall, by the main staircase, and my relief is so acute it's painful. I shouldn't be this nervous. It's why I'm here.

Across from the staircase is a set of double doors with bronze handles shaped like plant stems. The Duchess turns to me.

"Dr. Skylar is very optimistic that you will be able to perform the job I require. So, I have decided to allow you access to this room." She opens the doors with a flourish, and I smell damp earth and greenery. Then I see what's behind the doors, and I can't stop my mouth from falling open.

It's a greenhouse. The wall the door is on is pure white, but the ceiling and other wall are made of glass, allowing sunlight to flood the room. Glowglobes are mounted on the white wall, but are dark now. Plants grow everywhere, hanging from the ceiling, arranged on shelves, or placed in objects on the floor. A table is set up, facing the windowed wall, with plants and jugs of water and seed packets scattered on its surface. Bags of dirt are piled in a corner, and in the other corner reside two reclining chairs and a small table. I couldn't have imagined a prettier place to grow plants, not even the Electress's palace.

"You may come here whenever you wish, provided that your lady-in-waiting accompanies you," the Duchess says. "Anything like spices and herbs will also be taken to the kitchen for use. I hope it makes you happy." She turns to me and smiles.

"Of course, my lady. It will make me very, very happy." I say, curtsying.

"I'm glad. I'll leave you to it, then," the Duchess says, turning to leave.

Out of the corner of my eye, I spot a blue geranium plant, blooming beautifully on a shelf.

"Wait, my lady!" I call, running to the plant. I pluck a flower from the plant and rush back to where the Duchess waits, an amused grin on her lips.

"What is it?" she asks, glancing at the plant in my hand.

"May I?" I return, stepping closer to her, nearly on top of her. She simply nods. I tuck the flower behind her ear, twisting her hair to secure it in place. The blue hue is a bright shock against her dark hair and eyes, but it looks beautiful. She lifts her hand to touch it, but I quickly grab it.

"Careful, it's secured in there, but you might knock it out." I step back and drop her hand, expecting a scolding. Instead, she smiles.

"Thank you," the Duchess whispers before leaving. Claire slips in behind her, and I wonder how long she was behind the doors.

"Wow," she says, "this is beautiful." She walks around the space, brushing her fingers over the flowers and plants. I walk around too, finding the plants to be organized by color, and then a shelf dedicated for herbs and spice plants.