Chapter 2

I park my car in the farthest parking space I could find. I turn my car off and start walking toward the local grocery store. The store is packed with all kinds of people, families and elderly of all different races. I wander down a couple of isles before I find what I am looking for, a door handle with a lock and some ramen noddles. With the little money I have left in my wallet I am able to pay for my items and fill my car with gasoline.

When I arrive home Kevin's truck isn't in the driveway. I take my time bringing my things in and putting them in my room. I find a screw driver and take my old door handle off and put my new one with the lock on. If I had more money I would have bought a dead bolt too.

Now Kevin can't come and go as he pleases. Well it will be a little bit harder now. I tear open a package of my newly purchased ramen noodles put them in a bowl and boil the kettle, one of my few cooking appliances.

I sit down on my bed and eat my noddles while looking for a job on my old but useful phone. The job that I have at the local hardware store isn't giving me enough hours and I can't survive only bringing in a hundred dollars a month.

After hours of searching I come across a job available at the library, full time and better paying. I'll go and apply in the morning.

....

I hear the front door slam and I know he's home. I pray that he doesn't come down here but goes to the couch. As soon as I'm sure that he isn't coming down I let out the breath I didn't know that I was holding. I don't know how much longer I can live like this,with him.

I have to do laundry if I want to look and smell go for applying tomorrow but I know if I leave my room it'll start an argument.

I decide that it's worth it and make my way down the narrow hall and put my nicest clothes on the washer. I haven't put the detergent in and I already hear foot steps.

As he reaches the door I freeze. "What the fuck do you think you're doing?" He says to me his voice raspy and his breath foul from the cigarettes he had been smoking. "Laundry." I simply reply, not wanting to start a fight. "No you're not, I pay for the damn hydro bill! Find somewhere else to do your damn laundry."
"Okay fine." I'll let this load of laundry go through and hang it in my room to dry. I'm not in the mood to cause any father arguments. "Fucking brat" he whispers under his breath.

As his foot steps get quieterI walk slowly back to my room.