Chapter 11

Perla Veronica Guevara

The sound of a phone began to ring, it was Joel's phone. He immediately picked it up and answered it.

— Hi?...Erick...wait what?...yes we'll take care...you and Christopher but what about Zabdiel and Richard?....oh okay....take care bro, if you need anything call me – after that he ended the call.

— Everything okay? – while I stared at the little person in my arms.

— We'll be fake parents for today

I stopped looking at the Cuban's niece, Thiago, and quickly looked at Joel.

— What? – I raised my eyebrows.

— There was a thunderstorm, Chris and Erick stayed in the car but Zabdiel and Richard stayed at the mall. Plus there is so much wind and rain outside. – he paused – Perla we can take care of him right?

I didn't respond. I've never taken care of a baby. I've only seen them in tv and with my family members.

— Perla – he repeated.

— We can – I said, he just smiled.

— Do you have any practice?

— No, but I'll try.

I looked back at Thiago, he had his little hand in his mouth while looking around.

I started to walk with Thiago in my arms but I got bored of that so I sat beside Joel in the couch and placed Thiago in my legs and started to play with his little hands.

— Hey fake dad – I did a fake baby voice and pointed his little hands towards Joel.

— Hey cute thing – Joel responded while taking Thiago in his arms – you're really cute, just like me.

— Pimentel it's bad to lie – I said while standing up and heading to the kitchen. I was starving now. I had to prepare something easy.

Soup

I made it and took some soup in a plate with a spoon and started to eat it.

— Joel wanna eat? – I yelled all the way from the kitchen.

— What is it? – I heard him coming.

— I honestly don't know but for me it's soup

— Yeah give me some so I can try it

I took some soup out for Joel and also took some lemonade for both of us.

— someone has to eat first so that the other can take care of this little guy – I said – so you should eat first.

— Okay, thanks.

I started to play with Thiago while waiting for Joel to finish.

[...]

— Put your elbow in it – I said while carrying Thiago.

— ouch! It's too hot

— Put a little of cold water in it – I said while he did it.

— Ready

— Okay let's put him in it now.

— No! I need to bring his shampoo, soap, and towel – he left the bathroom and brought a bag that contained all the things he needed.

— Ready

I took Thiago's clothes off and put him in the tub.

— Pass me the soap – I started to wash all his body.