Chapter Thirteen - Cats, Part Four

Start from the beginning

Without a thought, Tony threw himself on the mattress and shook her. "Elle, wake up!"

Her eyes snapped open with a gasp, and her eyes flared with magic, glowing. The blue of her eyes were nearly silver, and her pupil seemed to be an odd purple color a few shades darker than a hair.

But it was only for a split second, before her eyes returned to a normal light blue, and she settled down, still shaking.

"Elle?" Tony asked quietly.

"I'm okay," she said quietly, still breathing heavily. "I'm okay, I'm good."

Her breathing calmed and she looked up at Tony. "You're lucky you're okay, Tony."

"Why?" he asked.

"Tony, shaking someone awake from a nightmare can be dangerous. It can be even worse if you have magic. Mine didn't attack you because it recognized you."

"Recognized me?" Tony asked, sitting back on the bed.

She nodded. "I told you, magic works on a different frequency. And any living thing emits a type of energy that magic can recognize. While it's easier with other wizards, it's easy enough for me to recognize you, especially since I care about you a lot. Makes it easier to match."

She said it so casually, it threw him off. It seemed like she was doing that a lot.

"Are you okay?" Tony asked her.

"I will be," she said, shuddering. "I haven't slept without my husband next to me in a long time." Elle gave him a sad smile. "I'll adjust, I just miss him for now."

There was a meow by the bottom of the bed, and Tony looked down to see that the cats had followed him in. Duchess hovered near the door, but the kittens were all near the bottom of the bed. Tony reached over and scooped them up, remembering what Elle said about them making people feel better.

He passed Salem, Aslan, and Tom over to Elle who gave him a bright smile and started petting them.

"Thank you, Tony," she said. "You're a good friend."

And there it was. Just so casually – like the sky was blue. The sun rises in the east. It was a fact of life.

He pulled the other three kitties closer to him as Duchess joined them all on the bed. "Why do you do that?"

"Do what?" she asked.

"I just...why do you like me? Most people hate me."

She snorted. "Tony, most people are idiots. And we're still going to fix that." Her smile curved up. "Well, not the idiot thing, that might be too hard. But we're going to change people's opinions of you, you know that. And it's going to be a bunch of fun, too."

"I just don't get-"

"Tony," she said, grasping at his hands. She bit her lip. "Okay, so listen, there's this thing my guild does. We sing songs to each other; romantic others, friends, siblings, parents. And we find a better way of expressing things that way. Magic resonates with music on a different frequency, so most of us are pretty good at singing and stuff."

"So?" he asked.

"The first time I did it, it was to help Juvia get over her hatred of rain," she continued slowly. "When she couldn't control magic, it was raining all the time around her, which made the other kids mad at her and led to some bullying. Which led to her hating the rain. Singing to her helped her have fun." Elle looked up at him. "Did you replace your broken piano?"

"No," Tony said, shaking his head.

"Alright, then you're going to have to let me warm up," she told him. "I'm not very good at guitar."