Late to Goode

Melissa Fox Gardener's POV

Hi! My name is Melissa Fox Gardener. I am 16 years old and a jr. at Goode High School in New York. I thought today was going to be a normal day at high school, but like most things, I was wrong.

I grabbed my bag and yelled my mother goodbye. I hopped in my car. Traffic was terrible. I pulled up just as the first bell rang.

Thank the gods! I thought. I ran to my homeroom. The second bell rang. Great. I'm late. I heard footsteps behind me.

Oh no! I thought. A teacher! I turned around to see a sea green eyed, black messy hair guy come up to me. It was Percy Jackson. I had all of my classes with him.

"Are you late too?" I questioned.

"Yeah, traffic was terrible," he responded.

"Same here," I answered.

I knew. Percy was late half the week. He was gone a year and got held back. Percy is 17 and a jr. like me. He went to a summer camp and had a girlfriend. She goes here and CHOSE to stay held back. Most likely to help Percy. They both have dyslexia and ADHD.

I opened the door into the classroom. A lot of eyes came upon Percy and me.

"Late Melissa. And Percy Jackson. I am not surprised," our history teacher, Mr. Jones, said.

"Traffic was bad," I explained.

"Don't let it happen again," he replied.

Percy and I took our seats next to each other in the back. I noticed he said Percy's last name and not mine.

Mr. Jones started talking about boring history stuff. I took notes and paid attention to Me. Jones. Percy just sat there and looked into deep space. Then he leaned over to talk to me.

"What is your last name?" he whispered. " I have never heard Mr. Jones say it out loud." It seems like a question popped out of the blue. What harm could it do?

"Gardener. I have a cousin named Katie. She goes to a different school," I responded quietly. I don't know why I mentioned my cousin. Probably because she lives at a camp but year round.

A shocked look appeared on his face.

Percy POV

Melissa is Katie's cousin?! She sometimes mentions she has a cousin when we talk about a mortal family. Melissa is 16. Another god broke their promise. First with Piper and Leo, then now with Melissa. Shame on you gods.

I heard the bell rang. Finally, I can go see my stepdad and Wise Girl in English. I packed up and asked Melissa if she wanted to walk to English together. I don't know why. Maybe a monster will attack. I can grab Annabeth and we can run to Camp Half-Blood. I will get to go back to camp. I hate school.

As we exited the classroom, I heard Me. Jones says, " Perseus Achilles Jackson and Melissa Fox Gardener, you will stay and pay!"

I thought, Oh no!