"The fire," Klaus roared back at her. "...you tried to have me killed by Mikael in that fire."

"No, you idiot! I was distracting Mikael...I was trying to save your life! I love you, don't you understand?" Her voice hitched up at a note of insanity.

Klaus stared at Lucy, focusing in on her eyes. He saw obsession...lust, desire, desperation...but love? No...he had seen love in Caroline's eyes. Lucy was pinpointing her feelings wrongly...and look what it had cost all of them.

"Well it's a little bit too late for that now is it..." he hissed.

A roaring pain suddenly resounded in his head. He grasped his head in agony, falling to the floor as he saw witches entering the room.

He turned to see Dominic crawling towards Caroline, his hands reaching out to cradle her in his arms.

The pain was affecting them all though. Kol was leaning on a bedpost, trying to stay held up. Rebekah curled on the floor, holding her head in her hands. Elijah was in a similar position, although he was attempting to sit up. And...oh dear God.

The sight of Caroline was horrifying. The poison plus the witches' spell was too much pain for such a baby vampire to bear. She was screaming, arching her back...but thus affecting the wound on her back.

With sudden despair, he turned to Bonnie. "Work your magic, witch!"

"I'm trying!" she shrieked back. Her chanting was growing, but the others were louder. And as they grew louder, the pain grew worse.

On the other side of the room, Dominic was feeding Caroline his blood. His ancient blood was stopping the witches' pain, but the wound continued to spread. Caroline looked up into his eyes.

"Am I going to die, Dominic?" she asked.

Dominic looked at his beauty with desperation. Her voice was laced with such sorrow, as if she was already pondering the life she could have had if she hadn't followed this path.

"I will not allow it. I will die for you Caroline...if I have to."

Elijah pulled himself across the room, the pain almost too unbearable.

"Niklaus!"

Klaus turned his gaze away from Lucy, focusing in on his brother. The pain was affecting him just as much.

"The spell! It will not hurt you if you turn," he grabbed onto Klaus' jacket, pulling him so they were face to face. "Brother, you must turn now if we are to have a chance of getting out of here! If you are in full form, the witches cannot harm you!"

Klaus' eyes widened. Bonnie was talking louder and louder with each chant, but the other witches were beginning to overpower her. Rebekah and Kol had Lucy pinned to the wall, but their hold was loosening. The witches were just too strong.

He turned to gaze at Caroline. Her head lay in Dominic's arms, blood dripping out of her mouth. The stake's poison was festering throughout her body, the veins of death slowly traveling down her arms and legs. Dominic was attempting to heal her with his blood, but judging from his tears, it was not working. Her eyes met his, the light in them slowly dimming. His heart swelled in his chest at the sight of his light fading away and he grasped Elijah's shoulders.

"Whatever happens...promise me you will protect Caroline. Promise me you will find a way to save her!"

He felt his bones snap as he forced himself into the first stages of his transformation. A roar of pain escaped his lips as he withered on the ground.

"Klaus! Klaus, what are doing?" Lucy screeched. He felt unwanted hands on his back, the sounds of his siblings trying to pry her off of him.

Another cry of pain as the bones in his legs cracked, stiffing and shortening to allow his wolf legs to form. God, he wanted it to end! Was this not the whole reason why he wanted the sacrifice? To be free of this?