The First Date Part 2

Klaus hadn't realized how much he had missed her.

Watching her now, taking small hesitant bites from her plate and trying so hard not to meet his gaze, he finally felt at ease, something he hadn't felt since the last time they were alone together.

It had taken all his years of will power not to pin her against the wall and kiss her when he had seen her in the lobby. The dress showed off every curve, exhibited her strong legs, and whatever she had done with her hair....lord she was irresistible.

He would eventually have her. He knew that. He needed her in his life. She was the light that Klaus craved so desperately, and he was certainly not going to let such a light escape from his sight. Caroline was also a challenge, a very beautiful challenge, and Klaus could only imagine what a reward he would have once he won her over. He meant to be her everything and give her the world. She deserved it all and more.

Across the table, Caroline was having very different thoughts.

She hated this. She hated the fact that Klaus had made her speechless with his stupid declaration. She hated the way he was staring at her, with that adoring and slightly lustful look.

"You need to stop staring at me like that," she finally spoke.

Klaus gave her his obnoxious smile. "Well then you really should not have worn that dress tonight sweetheart".

Caroline rolled her eyes before stabbing her fork into some pasta.

"And you should not make comments like that," she glared before stuffing the pasta in her mouth in a very unladylike fashion.

Klaus resisted the urge to call her adorable, sensing the tantrum he would get if he said anything else bordering flattery.

Caroline looked at him and seeing the amused glint in his eyes, she suddenly become angry. Angry in his certainty of owning her and in his control of her emotions. So in classic Caroline fashion she attempted to put the situation back into her advantage.

"It is really too bad you didn't meet me a year ago. If you were into me then, we'd be making out in the bathroom by now."

Klaus was not prepared for this.

Seeing his shocked look, Caroline felt herself take the reins of the situation and continued...resentment slowly taking hold. "Actually first time I met Damon, we were in the bed before any first date. Obviously I didn't know he had plans for making me his personal blood bag, being a little naïve human and all, but maybe I had it coming. He compelled me to forget everything. The sex, the abuse, his ownership of me. Once I become a vampire, I remembered it all. I learned my lesson. You are 10 times more powerful and dangerous than Damon ever was, so don't think for one second that you have any chance of convincing me that you are any different. Your words mean nothing," suddenly too angry to remain seated, she rose and started to leave the room.

Klaus was too quick for her.

He stood in front of her and gazed for a moment, as if trying to make her words clearer. She tried to move past him, but his hand caught her arm, gentle but firm.

"How could he?" he demanded, more to himself than to her. Caroline was stunned to hear the pain and sadness in his voice. "How could he defile something as... as perfect as you?"

Caroline was not to be unfocused from his obvious suffering. "I was a stupid, shallow human being who craved attention. I was very far from perfect. I'm sure you would have done the same thing if you met me back then."

"I'm sure I would not have done so," his voice full of certainty. "It is very lucky for Damon that we are not in Mystic Falls. He would be dead as of now. How dare he possess you as if you were nothing but a toy!"