The Vampire's Weakness

Start from the beginning

He growled, working his hand through his thick black hair. He was now faced with the choice of continuing his revenge on Niklaus, thus hurting Caroline or protecting her as he had said to Lucy, therefore putting off his hatred towards Niklaus.

He picked up his cell and dialed the number he had memorized by heart, making the final choice that would define him for the next portion of his life.

Love was a vampire's greatness weakness. Niklaus Mikaelson had never spoken truer words.

"Hello, Niklaus. You may not know me, but I go by the name of Dominic...."

"You are with Lucy," Klaus growled, cradling Caroline closer to his chest. The need to protect was now tenfold after her encounter with his ex-lover.

"Not anymore," Dominic's voice said softly. Klaus could hear the sadness in his voice.

"What has happened?" demanded Klaus.

"Lucy has lied to me. I had understood that she wished to kill you, however, I know now that that is false. I am calling to offer you my services in Caroline's protection, for Lucy still intends to rid the world of her."

"...and why would you want to protect Caroline, pray tell..." Klaus whispered dangerously.

"I fancy her," Dominic responded with no hesitation.

Rebekah turned to catch Klaus' reaction, Elijah looking into the rearview mirror. Both had been eavesdropping until now. They couldn't bear to be pretending to be daydreaming anymore.

Klaus growled low in his throat. The noise pulled Caroline vaguely out of her consciousness, reminding her of the time she witnessed Klaus as a monster. She whimpered lightly at the memory.

Klaus immediately stopped his growl, noticing Caroline's fear. He kissed her lightly on the nose in an attempt to ease her.

"She's mine," Klaus hissed fiercely into the phone.

"Technically not," Dominic smirked on the other end. "You still have not marked each other."

"We are together," Klaus restated. His anger was slowly starting to take control. "I believe you called about offering your services, would you like to expand on that?"

"Yes, of course. I am willing to help you find a witch powerful enough to withdraw the protection spell on Lucy."

"Done," Klaus stated and was about to hang up before Dominic stopped him.

"I must ask for something before I help you."

"And what possibly could that be?"

"...an apology."

"A what?" Klaus sputtered, not expecting that.

"A little more than a hundred years ago, you slaughtered a town outside of Moscow. My family was in that town. I was working in the city. You murdered by parents, my sisters, and my younger brother in your rage."

Klaus was silent before he replied, "I have killed many people. You will have to pardon me if I do not remember them."

"All I want is an apology," Dominic spoke in a whisper, his voice breaking at the memory.

Klaus had every intention of saying no, but a soft hand on his cheek stopped him.

Caroline had been listening to every word. She knew Klaus well enough now to know what his answer would be and she meant to change that.

"Klaus, please apologize," she whispered. He gazed at her in mute disbelief.

"Klaus...all he wants is an apology. You can do that, can't you?"