Although this King and Queen had everything, they did not have what they desired most

A child

As the Queen grew older and no child came, the King began to see the despair in his wife

In desperation, the King went to the forbidden area of his town, where the witches lived.

He begged the witches for help, telling them he would do anything for a potion.

The elder witch took pity on the King and proclaimed

"In two years, your Queen will be blessed with a daughter. She will have hair as black as a raven, for she was created not by pure love, but of the dark magic of the witches. On her first birthday, you will give your daughter up to us and she will become a part of our own. This will be the cost of your child."

The King, knowing this would be the only way of relieving his Queen, agreed and with a heavy heart, rode home.

In two years, the witch's prophecy came true. The Queen was blessed with a beautiful baby girl, with hair as black as the feathers on the raven. And she named her Lucy.

The Queen's happiness was short-lived. In the blink of an eye, Lucy had turned one.

With wet faces and sobbing sighs, the King and Queen handed Lucy over to the witches. Never to see Lucy again as their daughter, but as a loyal subject.

Although the witches treated her kindly, they never opened up to the girl as an equal. She did not possess any power, resulting in her immediate inferiority.

However, a young witch by the name of Ruth took pity on Lucy. The two became fast friends and there was not one amongst the witches who doubted their strong love and loyalty to each other.

Nearing Lucy's 20th birthday, strange rumors were heard around the kingdom. Rumors of violent murders in the kingdoms surrounding their own, bodies drained of blood. "Vampire" was heard whispered around the marketplace.

On her birthday, Lucy did not return from her daily walk in the woods. Ruth in panic searched for her friend, but to no avail.

The witches grew distressed. The vampire rumors seemed all too true now with Lucy's disappearance. Lucy would now be one of them.

Years passed and Ruth had given up all hope of ever seeing her beloved friend again.

Until.

Ruth was awoken by the sound of a scream...a scream that sounded oddly familiar.

She rushed out into the woods and to her shock, found a sobbing Lucy curled into the base of a tree.

With not a care in the world that Lucy was now an enemy, Ruth reunited with Lucy. Ruth learned of the man who had turned Lucy, a man named Mikael. He had created Lucy to assist him in killing his son, Niklaus.

Lucy sobbed her story to Ruth. How she was demanded to woo and seduce Niklaus. How she had fallen in love with him in the process. How she saved him before Mikael could kill him.

"Oh Ruth!" she cried. "How Mikael will hate me! He will kill me I know it!"

And at the base of that tree, Ruth swore to Lucy that she would protect Lucy at all costs from the vampire named Mikael. Ruth chose a vampire over nature and nature would have its way.

When Mikael finally found Lucy, years later, Ruth was prepared. As the vicious beast was about to plunge the stake into Lucy's heart, Ruth summoned all her power and threw herself in front of Lucy.

The power burst the stake in Ruth's chest as it caught fire. Mikael screamed out in pain as fire fell on him and he ran.

Lucy cried out as she watched Ruth die before her. She cradled Ruth to her chest, holding her as a mother does to her child. Her only friend in the world was dead.