"Klaus, there was a shop back there I wanted to look at...do you mind if I quickly look in?"

Klaus shook himself out of his daydream of making out with Caroline, looking at her with dazed eyes.

"No, love...but I'd clean up your mouth a bit before going into a more public setting..." he smirked, handing her a napkin.

She blushed furiously as she grabbed her purse and worked away at the chocolate, walking back into the street.

"If there's anything you want, darling, just come and get me!" Klaus shouted out at her as she crossed the street.

His many other purchases for Caroline sat next to him, all wrapped in expensive pink wrappings. Any other man would have been vexed at the amount their girl made them spend in the city, but not Klaus. Klaus would buy Caroline all of Europe if he could with a genuine smile on his face, and it would all be worth it.

Caroline finally had removed all traces of chocolate when she entered the store. She still hadn't found the perfect evening dress yet and this was the store that she hoped would answer her wish. She pawed through dress after dress, slowly becoming deflated when none caught her fancy.

"May I be of assistance to you?"

Caroline snapped up at the deep accented voice from above her. Her eyes met a pair of piercing black eyes. The man's jet black hair was smoothed down to one side, his hair probably blacker than the suit he was wearing. He was tall, sturdy, and broad, and when his eyes flashed dangerously up and down her body, Caroline felt an icy feeling stir in her chest.

This was no ordinary man.

"Oh...um...no thanks. I was just looking..."

"But of course you came in here for a gown, did you not?"

"Well yes, but honestly I was just about to lea..."

"May I suggest this one," his hand reached out across her shoulder, grabbing from a different clothing line a luxurious purple gown.

"No, really, I was just about to..."

"I insist you take this one," his eyes, if possible, had grown blacker. His pupils were barely visible.

What was his problem? Caroline looked about her. No one seemed to notice her distress. She wanted to leave, but what if the man followed her?

"Oh sure, why the hell not!" she yanked the dress from him and nearly ran into a terribly small dressing room. Shutting the door behind her, she dialed Klaus' number, hoping to God the man wouldn't come after her.

He answered in less than two rings.

"Yes, love?"

"Klaus, you need to get here now," Caroline's voice faltered for a moment. "I'm in the dressing room. There's some guy who was acting weir..." the line was cut off.

In what seemed less than a few moments, Caroline heard Klaus' voice outside her room.

"Are you alright, Caroline?"

Opening the door, she yanked Klaus inside. She explained the whole thing to Klaus, even giving Klaus the man's description.

"I do not know this man," murmured Klaus. "I did not see him coming in."

Caroline sighed in defeat. "Look, I know it sounds stupid, but I think he's a vampire...or werewolf...I don't know! He just kept looking at me like...."

"Like what?"

"....like he wanted to eat me and have a very good time doing so..."

"I would never let that happen," Klaus stated grimly. "if everyone knew how valuable and precious you are to me, no man would ever dare think of touching you."