He fiercely swiped at his cheeks, removing trace tears that lay there.

"Honestly, just because I apologized, doesn't mean I meant any of it."

Klaus took a sip from his beer. "Unfortunately not. But I am curious Damon...why her? She's so stunning....strong, magnificent....how could you hurt someone like her?"

With an incredulous look, Damon replied, "You've got to be kidding me. Caroline was the dumbest blonde I had met in a long time, nothing strong about her. Stunning? Magnificent? More like needy, frail, annoying, selfish..."

He was cut off by Klaus' hand clenched tightly around his throat, cutting off his windpipe.

"Say one more negative word about that angel and I swear I will torture you far worse than Kol did. You forget who you speak to..." he dropped his hand, giving Damon a moment to rub at his bruised neck.

"I hurt her because she came to me and I wanted prey. I wanted to hurt Stefan and Elena so I hurt Caroline to hurt them. I compelled her so I could know more about Elena...does that answer your question?"

"Yes, but that still does not excuse anything. Now I believe you still owe her a gift, am I correct."

Seeing Damon's silence, he continued.

"I will not remain here any longer, but Kol will see to it that you buy a very expensive gift, worthy enough for Caroline. You may tell Elena and company that Caroline is perfectly well, considering she made the excellent choice of removing herself from this bloody town."

He dropped a tip and before leaving, grabbed Damon's arm roughly and said, "And remember that you are to treat Caroline as you would a queen. If you treat her as anything less, you will have me to answer to. You have yourself a nice day..." and Klaus left the grill.

Two days later, Caroline found herself relaxing in a warm bubbly bath tub, a wine glass in one hand. Her two days without Klaus had turned out to be surprisingly boring, not that she would ever tell him, and she finally decided to make use of her large penthouse bathtub.

She was actually able to swim in little circles once she filled up the tub. After tiring herself out, she filled the tub with a bottle full of bubble bath, overflowing the tub with puffy white bubbles. The one giddy thought that crossed her mind was how her mother never allowed her to put bubbles in her bathes.

"Look at me now, Mom," she chuckled, sliding into the bath. Her whole body was covered by bubbles, except her head and her small feet which peaked out at the end of the tub.

She lay there quietly and contently, smiling softly to herself at the thought that Klaus would be back soon.

Or a little too soon.

"Well I was hoping for at the most a welcoming smile when I saw you, love, but this is probably the best welcome back gift I have yet received."

She opened her eyes and saw Klaus leaning into her bathroom's doorway, a rose in his hand, and his eyes full of adoration and amusemet.

She shrieked. If it was even possible, she sunk even lower into the tub. "What are you doing in my bathroom? Get out!"

He didn't move.

"Klaus, get out!" She reached for her shampoo bottle and aimed it straight at his head. He caught it, hardly moving.

"If I was not a gentleman, I would join you" he winked and went back into the depths of her penthouse.

"You wish," she yelled. Caroline quickly rose from the tub, dried her hair, and covered herself in a towel.

She found him lying on her bed, The Hunger Games shielding his face.

"Has anyone ever told you it's rude to walk in on someone bathing? I mean, seriously...now what the hell do you want?"

He lowered the book, gazing at her towel covered body. She noticed he had laid the rose down on her dresser.

"Do you honestly not understand the effect you have on me wearing hardly anything, Caroline?"

She blushed, but was not to be distracted. "You didn't answer my question!"

"Maybe because I hardly need to answer? Is it wrong to say that I missed you and wanted to see you?"

He put aside the book, gazing longingly at her.

She rolled her eyes, trying to brush off the arousal she felt growing in her core.

"Just because you missed me doesn't mean you can barge in my room uninvited! I missed you, but you don't see me..."

She stuttered to a stop when Klaus flashed right before her.

"Say that again," his voice whispered.

"What are you deaf? I said you shouldn't barge into..."

"No love, not that,"

"Oh the part when I said..."

Oh shit.

"Yes, love,"

Caroline panicked. How could she be so stupid?

Frantically she tried to get out of the situation.

"I should get some clothes on," she muttered turning...before Klaus gripped her arm gently.

And to her horror and unexplained happiness, he gave her a kiss on the corner of her lips. Unlike his other kisses, this one was much more sensual and longer. His mouth was open ever so slightly, allowing her to feel his hot moist breath. Her breathing started coming out more strangled and she swore if he didn't stop soon, she'd faint.

"Please say it again," he whispered, almost begging.

She looked down, still blushing from his kiss. "I said I kind of missed you..."

Caroline looked up to meet his eyes. He remained silent, but a sort of happiness was radiating off of his face. His eyes seemed almost joyful. He leaned in a rested his forehead against hers, smiling softly.

"Two days is much too long to be separated from you..." he murmured gruffly. Caroline's insides clenched.

He pulled back. "You smell like roses...that explains why I was compelled to buy one while away," he trailed his hand briefly across her cheek before leaving her room, shutting the door behind him.

"Oh my god," Caroline whimpered and fell on the bed.

"Oh, I will miss you so much, Caroline," Chloe cried on her shoulder.

"Chloe, I'll write to you every day and call you all the time, I promise!" Caroline reassured her. She couldn't deny that she too was tearing up.

Caroline wore Damon's gift, diamond earrings that Kol assured Klaus had cost Damon a fortune. Klaus insisted she wear them, saying they would go splendidly with her sparkling eyes. She also had finally put on Klaus' bracelet...telling herself that it matched the earrings.

Chloe, after letting go of Caroline, went up to Klaus and gave him a hug as well. Klaus awkwardly returned it. He swore he had gotten more hugs in this month than he had had in the course of his life as a vampire.

"And it was such a pleasure to meet you, Klaus. I think I've come to quite like you."

"Thank you Chloe. And I assure you nothing will harm Caroline as long as I'm with her."

Chloe pulled back. She looked at her two guests and wiped a tear.

"So where are you off to next darlings?"

Klaus gave Caroline a questioning look. She swore she wouldn't tell him where she wanted to go until they said goodbye to Chloe.

"Where are we of too...."

She gave Klaus a wink.

"We are off to Paris, Chloe!"