Chapter 8

"My my, Hailey, have you grown taller!" Hailey's mother exclaimed when she measured her 6 year old daughter, flattening her hair.

The young girl laughed. "Mom! I'm growing strong enough to fight with the big guys!" The mother picked up her child and walked her out of the house, standing on top of a mountain. "Not yet, my little fire dragon. You must learn a little patience to in order to be strong." She let out a grunt of annoyance."But you have to do absolutely nothing being patient! That's boring!" 

"Being patient does not mean doing nothing. It requires tolerating the mishaps in life. I'm sure you'll fully understand one day."

A 21 year old Hailey with shorter hair walks through her hometown of ZheTklaka,  a small village located in the mountains of Runquier. The snow was whiter and softer than a cloud and all the families played outside, whether it was making "snow vikings" or lounging in the substance.

"Hi Hailey!" She heard two voices behind her.

Boba, one of Runquier's vocal singers for their choir.

And Goof, the town's inventor. He gets the nickname because of the townsfolk calling him the "old crazy man", even though he is only 14.

"Whattya up to, ya two knuckleheads?" The warriorress laughed as she ruffled both of their hair, messing them up in the process.

"Aw ya know!" The boy explained while trying to straighten his hair. "Finding some spare parts for Billy!"

The older woman looked confused. "Billy? I take it he's a work in progress?" "Pfft. Obviously! It's not like I have other friends!"

That earned him a side punch from Boba. Goof laughed. Then Boba. Then Hailey chortled with them.

"Ok, so according to this map that we happened to conveniently find, it should be in that cave." The mage pointed the dark echoing abyss known as a cave. The gang could barely see a thing, but when their eyes adjusted, they spotted a glowing light from afar.

The Orb of the Lost Wizard..

Score!

"Pumpkin, you stay here and keep your eyes out for intruders? Got that, buddy?" Hailey petted her companion.

"Roger that, amiga."

The four heroes ventured out into the cave as they disappeared into the darkness. Then, a flash of light from the crystals embellished in the  lit up. Swiblet, Hailey, Vic, and Galaxy gasped in awe.

"It's so beautiful.."

"Ah! Is that Dyhybrellium? Ooh! Tryuinbrium!!!" As Victor practically fangirled over the rocks, the rest of the team sweatdropped.

This guy's special, isn't he?

After minutes of aimlessly walking around, they've finally seen the relic. As the duck neared the Orb, just when he was close enough to touch it, he felt an unbearable pain in his head. He held it with his wings as he screamed a bloodcurdling yell.

"SWIB!"

"HOLY CRAP! ARE YOU OK?"

In a small town called Bynsyak, a little duckling was wailing out for it's mother. It was left out in the streets, cold and hungry and almost close to passing out. Just as all hope was lost for the little guy, a woman happened to stop by the poor thing.

"Oh, are you lost little guy?"

Back in her cottage, she wrapped a small blanket around him and placed him next to a warm, blazing fire. "It seems that your mother isn't coming back. How did you get here? Do you have a name?" He only let out a small "quack" in response. "You don't have a name? Well then, I shall name you after my........departed husband."

The blonde woman picked up the duck and carried him by the window to see the beautiful summer scene.

"Ben. My name is Mary."

Swiblet's eyes shot up as he took a leap back and gasped. Everyone else did the same.

"Did you guys see that?" Galaxy asked the gang.

"Yeah." Hailey and Victor exclaimed simultaneously.

"So you saw my memory? Oh, I didn't want to tell you like this." The duck laughed it off.

"Interesting. So the Orb bas the ability to detect a person's thoughts and insecurites if not handled carefully by a mage." Victor mumbled under his breath. He took a step forward and held his staff up in the air.

"Stay back, everyone."

Vic closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

"O megáloi prógonoi, akoúste me éxo. parachoríste ti dýnami aftoú tou archaíou leípsana."

His eyes shot up to reveal that his eye color changed from their normal hue of brown to a neon purple.

"An den kríno antáxia, me kaíne sta váthi tis kólasis. an kríno áxia, afíste aftí ti dýnami na me xeperásei!"

The Orb slightly moved, then shot up in the air as Victor held out his hand slowly. It floated onto his hand as its glow slowly faded away. Everyone looked in shock, then cheered.

"VIC! YOU DID IT! HA HA!" Hailey shouted.

"Oh my god. I actually did. I'm surprised my hand didn't burn off in the process." The mage laughed as he looked at it. "I just wonder what this thing could do in battle."

As the quartet hopped on Pumpkin, Swiblet stopped.

"So your real name is Ben? Interesting name for an interesting duck. So how come you changed it to 'Swiblet'?" Hailey giggled.

"It's just some nickname some bullies gave to me while they kicked my ass. I've just.....learned to embrace it!" The mallard smiled in response. "Now come on! Next stop is in Frostia!"

The warriorress stood there  pondered what her friend said.

"Huh. Embrace it?"

(1 hour later)

A person in a black hood walked to the same cave our heroes were in, along with an old guide with them.

"Are you sure you saw a saber tooth waltz in here with a duck, a man, and two women?"

"Why yes I di-"

Before the guide could finish his sentence, he felt a sharp pain in his abdomen.

He was stabbed and before he reached death, he caught a glimpse under the hood of his killer.

A skull mask.

Lewann.