Chapter Five

I wished my best friend good luck as he started toward the stool in the front of the room.  He was too lost in thought to respond to me. Or maybe he was just a little nervous.

Tentatively, he stepped up to the stool and sat down. After a second, the sorting hat was placed on his head. A minute or so later, the hat looked out at the crowd.

"Gryffindor!" It yelled.

I screamed along with the whole Gryffindor House as the hat was taken off Hugo's head and he walked over to the table. He took a seat by another first year and gave me an encouraging grin.

Professor Longbottom continued sorting first years. As scared as I was, it was genuinely boring. The only other people who stood out to me, were the boys that were in the boat with us. The brown haired, blue eyed kid was sorted a few people after Hugo. His name turned out to be Jack Moore. He was sorted into Ravenclaw, which seemed to upset him.

The blond that rode on the boat with us, was sorted into Slytherin. He didn't seem to expect anything else from the hat. His name was Oscar Nott. I think Nott is a famous Slytherin family, which explains his attitude toward his sorting.

When there was only about a half dozen people left, Professor Longbottom called my name. I froze in place, shock keeping me from moving. A million thoughts raced through my head.

What if I don't know anyone? What if everyone hates me? What if I'm actually a squib and they send me home? That would be so embarrassing!

Someone pushed me forward. I felt myself walk forward and sit down on the stool, but my brain was in a whole other place. A worn hat was placed over my head and blocked my vision.

Oh. Who'd think a Potter would have such fear. And a Weasley for that matter. A deep, old sounding voice, said inside my head.

What the hell? Who the hell are you?

I am the Sorting Hat, Lily Potter. It replied. I felt a presence search through my memories. It went too fast for me to process. Meanwhile, the Sorting Hat mumbled his thoughts.

Quite smart, definitely a possible Ravenclaw, but no real passion for education... Compassionate toward others, but has so much more potential than the Hufflepuff house can offer... Hmmm. That leaves Slytherin and Gryffindor. Very sly and ambitious... But also braver that I originally thought. This is a tough one... Do you have a preference, Ms.Lily?

Now that I thought past my anxiety, I realized that I wanted to be where I belonged. I wouldn't be satisfied where I don't belong. I would feel isolated and would be truly alone.

I wish to be where I belong.

You are wise beyond your years, child...  Are you more ambitious or brave? Hmmm.

There was a moment of silence.

Ohhh, I know where I'll put you...

He inhaled to announce my house, but I interrupted.

Wait!

Have you changed your mind? Do you have a request? Even if you do, I feel strongly about this decision... I don't think you'll be able to sway me.

No, I just want to talk to you. I might never get another chance.

We cannot talk for long... everyone is waiting.

Do you really spend all year writing a new song to sing for the first years?

I am much smarter than many think. I have existed for centuries. I have sorted a great many students. Newt Scamander, Tom Riddle and even Albus Dumbledore. I am one of the wisest beings in existence, believe it or not. Do you believe I would spend three hundred sixty four days writing a song?

Fair point. How many students have stopped to talk to you?

As my memory serves, exactly five hundred thirty seven, counting you.

Did you know that Tom Riddle would cause so much destruction?

I could predict based on his troubled past, but I could not and can not tell the future.

Who took the longest to sort, in all history?

You. Can I now announce your house?

What do you mean, me? It hasn't even been a whole minute.

I was joking, Ms.Potter. I may be stubborn and I may be as old as dirt, but I do have a sense of humor. However, it has been longer than five minutes, resulting in your title as a hat stall.

Okay, I guess you can sort me... I bit my lip and felt my hands calm up.

I'm sure I'll see you again, Ms.Potter.

Slytherin! The hat yelled out loud to the whole school. The hat was lifted from my head and I looked out to a horrendous sight.