Chapter 1: A Million Miles Away

Start from the beginning

The woman gives me a once over, confusion embedded in her eyes, "Where are you going?" she asks me, at a complete loss.

Home, I'm going home.

"Take a hint, lady..." I turn back to face her, "if I'm here at a food court to use it as a therapy room, the food here must be dang awful."

"You mean to tell me that you reserved your own table for nothing? You sat down here for two hours straight just to tell me your entire life story?" she sputters, blinking rapidly as her fury sets right into place.

I nod.

"Who sits down at a café, for hours on end, only to order absolutely nothing in the end?!" she hisses at me, her words falling on deaf ears, as she comes to register and process everything, including what I'd done.

And to think that I was going to tip her...

"Since when did it become a crime to talk to someone about life issues?!" I call to her over my shoulder, no longer holding back.

"Since shrinks came into being!" she answers me in a shout of infuriating noise. 

People begin to turn to see what all the commotion is about.

I improvise, lifting my chin high as I waddle out the food court with the last of my pride and dignity intact, "It was a rhetorical question! Need not be answered!"

Totally won that!

"And who wears pajamas and slippers when going out?!" 

She's adamant in having the last say.

"I do! It's a free country! You don't see me whining about your 'back in my day' comments!" I yell in spite of her not saying that once. I'm just making a petty generalization to point out how incredibly old she is.

I'll just ignore the middle finger that she's currently showing me.

*~*~*~**~*~*~*

Lying atop the roof of his car, under the warm sun, while I patiently wait for him is enough to kill me. He's taking forever. The sun's rays feel great, but it's also draining up all my energy. I'm going to fall asleep here if he doesn't pitch soon.

A loud tapping on the side of the car startles me awake. In shock, I end up losing my balance, resulting me in sliding right off the car and onto the hard ground below. 

The sound of his lively laughter brings me back to the land of the living. My eyes settle upon him in a glare, "Took you long enough," I huff from my position in the dusty sand.

"I was busy, Leech," he remarks nonchalantly, referring to me by the nickname he'd used on me all the way through high school. 

He has a mischievous grin on his face as he stands above me, refusing to help me up, totally milking this. 

"You can help me up now, 'CityBoy Maggot'," I order, pouting up at him, silently willing for his help.

"Nah, I'm good," he winks at me teasingly, laughing the matter off as he heads back inside his mansion.

"Mason!" I scowl after him before lazily getting up from the dirt and following after him with a casual stroll.

He was supposed to return to Minnesota too, but I guess he got carried away with the idea of New York as well. New York has something refreshing about it. The city grows on you rapidly, like a fungus. You can't help but not want to leave.

Mason and I, without jobs or money, shared a flat for our first year spent in New York. In the second year, I decided it was best to find my own place, especially when he made it apparent that he wanted something more to happen between us. Unfortunately, I had to clarify and make it explicitly clear that nothing would ever happen - nothing more would come from our friendship.