Chapter 22: You're Mistaken

"What's going on Zac?" I ask as we arrive at our new destination - some dingy looking bar. It's rusty, old and rundown - a typical 'Zac hangout spot'. "Be straight with me for once," I sigh as I try to process all that's just happened.

"Nothing, everything's fine," Zac lies to my face in an act to reassure me as we enter the crowded, stuffy bar. We take seats right in front of the bartenders. Zac wastes no time in ordering himself a few drinks. He's a heavyweight in that sense, unlike me.

I cock my head to the side as I give him a look of warning, "Zac."

"Don't use my name too much, 'kay?" He orders more than asks as he keeps glancing around the bar as if in search of someone.

I roll my eyes at him in frustration, "Whatever you want, Phoenix," I emphasize his old name seeing as he's up to his old tricks.

He places his hand over my mouth, his eyes going wide as if alert, "Sssh ssh sh," he commands degradingly, "no names tonight at all, alright?"

I bite down on his hand. He lets out a yelp as he removes his hand from my mouth. I grin up at him innocently, "Serves you right, jerk."

He narrows his eyes at me, finally directing his attention back to me, "What is your problem?"

"Tell me what yours is first," I demand stubbornly. "You're clearly on the run from someone again and I want to know why. For your sake, I hope this isn't related to Lars."

Zac immediately shakes his head, "No, never again. I promised you that I wouldn't do that to you a second time and that's one promise I actually intend to keep."

I send him a flat stare, hesitant to believe him or trust him.

"I don't even know where he is, Aqueela. I haven't been in contact with him since I went to jail. You know that he's in hiding. No one knows where he currently is. It's why your uncle is trying to trace him down. If anyone can find him, it's Jeff," Zac explains truthfully, sensing my distrust.

"True," I sigh as I think back to the day when I told my uncle everything. He then took it upon himself to go looking for Lars in order to arrest him. He's still currently trying to locate my father. My final wish is to see my dad behind bars.

"I hate cops," Zac scowls as if reminded of his history with them before a grin slowly finds its way onto his face, "but Jeffrey is the exception."

Uncle Jeffrey is my hero, thus, I have to nod in agreement.

A thought occurs to me soon after, "Dean's dad is a cop too," I say and chuckle at Zac's misfortune. He's somehow always being linked to the law, even though he seems to think he's above it.

"Just my luck," Zac groans before lifting his brown eyes to meet my gaze, a sheepish expression on his face, "who is Dean again?" He queries.

I shake my head at him, a small smile on my face, "Forget it."

Zac really doesn't pay attention to my friends, that's if Dean Wyatt even counts as a friend. I still only see him as Landon's crazy racing buddy, but then again, I did try to bail him out of jail. However, that attempt later resulted in all of us landing up in jail. Thus, my conclusion, we're close friends.

"Yo, Stokes? Could it really be you?!"

Zac turns in his seat upon hearing the voice, almost as if it's familiar to him. I follow his movement and shift as well in order to get a better view.

The random guy before us laughs aloud to himself when seeing Zac's face, "My gosh, it is you! I'll be damned. The phoenix still flies in these parts, huh?"