Chapter 21: Walk with Me

"Are you okay now?" Zac asks me bluntly. "Or should I be worried?" He asks as I watch him drink from the milk carton. I don't enjoy having him as a roommate. He's messy. It's not fun. Jay was, probably still is, a clean freak.

I roll my eyes at him playfully, "Try and be a little more insightful, Zacster," I say as I snatch the milk carton from his hands before he downs all of it again.

I wouldn't exactly say that I'm okay, especially seeing as it's been two weeks since Jay stopped talking to me altogether. He lost his race after our last talk, the talk where he walked away from me after hearing the truth behind my five-year disappearance. Decoda is still furious and continues to blame me for his loss. As a result, more potential investors and sponsors have dropped him, even some of his fans. The worst part of it all, he doesn't even remotely care.

"I prefer being incompetent," Zac replies, drawing me out from my thoughts, "it's easier."

I laugh and nod in agreement, "True, very true."

Zac smiles slightly, hesitantly, as if apprehensive, "So..." he starts slowly, taking his chances, "you up for that night out with Zachary Stokes yet?"

"Zac Stokes," I correct, "and I guess. If it will be fun, why the hell not?" I agree in ease. I then raise a skeptical eyebrow at him, taking a shot at some teasing, "But why not take Mia instead?"

"Because she's boring," Zac answers, trying to play it casual even when it's obvious that he's on the defense, "she's not fun like you."

"But maybe she's the boring to your fun. She balances you out." I joke, hoping that he will, at least, consider it.

"Oh shut up you gremlin," he smirks down at me playfully, "I barely know her."

"Since when has that ever stopped you?" I grin in amusement.

He returns my grin, "True that, I can't be stopped." He raises an eyebrow at me as he walks on by to the lounge, "You're strangely upbeat?" He questions more than states as I follow him toward the door leading out. "Have you been dancing to 'Cotten Eye Joe' again?" He quizzes, hitting the nail on the head.

I stifle a laugh, "Maybe." 

You can't listen to that song without smiling.

"You're so lame," he chuckles humorously. "I still have to get that on tape one of these days. It's golden."

"You're right, I am lame. I'm so lame I'm suddenly feeling too lame to venture out with the famous Zachary..." I roll my eyes at the fake name, "Stokes," I taunt, manipulating him.

Zac doesn't take 'no' for an answer. He grabs my hand and begins pulling me out after him before I can protest. "Glad we're making time to do this," he throws a look over his shoulder, sparing me a single glance before he continues to drag me after him. He completely blocks out all my whining from behind, choosing to have his own way.   

"You've become so bossy," I scrunch up my nose and pull a funny face at him. 

Sensing that I'm joking, he joins in, "Please, I'm Zachary Stokes, I'm damn chic!" He shouts arrogantly yet playfully as we leave the hotel. He's relishing in it. I send an apologetic glance to the bystanders staring on. Zac couldn't care less about what people think of him. He lives for the moment. He's, as he likes to say, 'yolo-ing' life. Sometimes it's a good thing, other times...not so much.

"You're not chic. You're Voldemort, only worse," I insult him, kidding along.

Zac continues to make a scene as if to embarrass me, blowing his self-proclaimed 'coolness factor' to hell, "Yippee Ki-Yay b*tches!"