Chapter 43: When's the Wedding?

I watch Tim's facial expression carefully, holding my breath as I await his answer.

"I like Aqueela's," he eventually says, looking up at me.

"Yes! Whoo!" I shout out in joy. "In your face!" I throw my finger in Melinda's face before jumping to my feet, throwing my fist into the air.

Melinda rolls her eyes at me when I start bobbing up and down in excitement. "You're so childish. The amount of guidance you need in life is unbelievable and just plain ridiculous."

I place a hand over my heart at hearing the sincerity in her voice, touched. "Why thank you."

In turn, she merely scoffs.

Tim shakes his head as if he'd been expecting what kind of response I'd give. "Aqueela, sit-"

I grab all Tim's important documents and toss them into the air in delight as I celebrate my achievement. "I'm the greatest!" I moonwalk past Melinda.

"Down," Tim finishes with a sigh.

"Can I go now?" Melinda asks Tim. "This was uneventful," she says before standing up and pushing me out of her way. She grabs her purse, flips me off, and then leaves the office for the day without so much as a 'goodbye'.

"Rude girl that," I tell Tim with a shake of my head, dropping the rest of his documents onto the floor.

"You're cleaning that up...again," he tells me straight.

I nod, barely listening to him as I peer out the window, watching the witch embrace Satan before climbing onto his broom, the two of them flying off to ruin a sunset.

"I'm promoting you to chief photographer, that's I why I wanted you to stay late," Tim comes out with it, sensing that he won't get my attention otherwise.

My face lights up in disbelief. "That's awesome. Thank you, Tim, but why?"

He shrugs. "You're very talented. Your heart comes through whenever you're behind the lens. I see your heart in your photos." He leans forward across his desk. "I'll be honest with you, Aqueela, I don't know anyone else that can do what you do. Your photos are incredible. You even inspire me. That's why I've chosen your photos for the upcoming project."

I smile wholeheartedly.

"But," he pauses in thought, "you have to stop provoking Melinda. She's always in my office, complaining about you. You have to stop throwing paper balls at her, especially when those paper balls are the photos she's working on."

"They're not very good photos," I defend myself. "She should be thanking me."

"That's beside the point. It's not your call to make," he reprimands me, unimpressed.

I nod, not really listening to a word that he's saying. "So, how's the wife and kids?"

"For the billionth time," he sighs, running a hand through his neatly cut hair, "I'm not married."

"Right, right," I nod, now remembering, "how's the daughter then?"

"The same as the last time you asked me, which was ten minutes ago," he reminds me.

"Uh-huh, and what was the answer again?"

"Fine. She's fine," he answers, his patience wearing thin.

"How old again?" I ask, intrigued.

"Two," he replies before gesturing to the door as if hinting for me to go.