Confidence

Based on an idea by a reader (rubyirenereed176)

...................

Confidence.

That was something Marinette lacked. Every little thing worried her and she never thought her designs were good enough. Her confidence as Ladybug was just a shield. She didn't even think she was good enough to be Ladybug. She never felt worthy.

These feelings didn't get any better after her rejection. Marinette thought it would be a good idea to confess to Adrien. They had recently gotten close and she was really happy about that. Alya convinced her to do so and Tikki encouraged her too. Why not? she thought. What could go wrong?

Everything apparently.

Marinette woke up late, despite having set three alarms. She rushed to school without eating breakfast. She barely reached the doors as they were being closed. She walked into class and sat in her usual seat. Alya gave her a sympathetic look and Marinette rested her head on her hands.

As Ms. Bustier was teaching, Marinette's stomach growled, earning a few giggles from the students and an insult from Chloe.

She hoped for and dreaded lunch. Marinette was very hungry since she didn't eat breakfast, but that was when she was supposed to confess.

Class stretched for what seemed like hours and she was grateful and distressed by it. When it was time for lunch, Marinette sat frozen in her seat. Almost everyone, including the teacher, had left the classroom.

Alya stood next to Marinette, a hand on her hip. "C'mon girl," she said. Marinette looked up at her, "But what if he rejects me?! A-and marries Chloe! He's going to hate me Alya! My life is going to be over!!!!" Alya laughed. "Oh Marinette, you drama Queen. Get up! That's not going to happen. Adrien is too sweet to hate you."

Marinette sulked in her chair. Alya sighed and grabbed her by the arm. She dragged Mari out of the room and down to the lunch room. Nino and Adrien were seated at a table, laughing at whatever Kim had said. Marinette gulped and both girls walked towards the table.

"Hey, guys!" Alya spoke up. "Hey," Nino said between laughs. "Oh, hey," Adrien smiled. Marinette felt her face grow hot. Kim laughed, "You ok Mari? Your face is the color of Nathaniel's hair." Marinette sent him a glare and he raised his arms up in defense.

Alya rolled her eyes. She turned to Adrien and grinned from ear to ear. "Hey Adrien, Marinette needs help with something, can you go with her and help her?" Adrien nodded, "Of course."

Marinette stood frozen in place. "Don't just stand there, go!" Alya muttered. "R-right! Way this- I-I MEAN THIS WAY!" Marinette stuttered. Nino and Kim laughed and Alya sighed. Adrien paid no attention.

Marinette walked in the direction of the lockers and Adrien followed after her. They both reached her locker and stood there for a few moments.

"So what do you need help with?" Adrien asked. Marinette felt dizzy and her stomach ache. "U-um, actually. . . I-I need to t-tell you something," she muttered. Adrien looked at her with concern. "Is everything ok?" he questioned. Marinette simply nodded. "Well, what is it?"

"A-Adrien. . . I like you!" she blurted out. "I like you too! You're a great friend, Marinette." Adrien stood confused as Marinette's face turned sad. It was then the realization hit him. "O-oh, y-you meant. . . Marinette I'm sorry, but I love someone else."