Chapter 1: Moving In

Magsimula sa umpisa

Pagkatapos namin bumili ng uniforms and stuffs, we decided to eat at Shakey's. it's time for me to taste filipino foods!

Ang sarap ng mojoss!!! I ordered a lot of extra rice and nagulat si Heidi.

"Seriously?! Ganyan ka ba talaga kumain?" tanong nya.

"Yes pero mas madami ata ngayon. These foods are amazing!"

She ordered rice and chicken.and I love the gravy! Then.the mojos and pizza. I tasted a lot of foods like this but I think it's better specially when Heidi said I can eat bare hands!

After I ate Heidi asked me if I won't eat my pizza and I said no. I don't eat pizzas.

She thinks it's weird. Me not eating pizza is weird? Actually, no. I hate it. I don't like the taste of it.

After she got over of me not eating pizza we head home since it's getting dark and she drove me home 'cause I still got no car.

After weeks of spending time with Heidi, mom finally arrived and school's tomorrow.

Actually, I'm super nervous. I never had been surrounded with many filipinos.

What if I can't understand them properly? What if I can't understand the lessons? So.many what ifs I didn't notice mom at the door of my room.

"Ayos ka lang ba? You look uneasy." she asked full of worry.

"I'm nervous mom."

"Ow honey," she said and lumapit sakin. "Everybody is nervous. You just have to pretend you're not. Try to act natural and they'll like you."

"I don't need them to like me mom. I'm just nervous of my day to be a bad day."

"It wont be okay? I'm sure. We filipinos are very friendly. Just stay cool." she told me.

"Thanks mom."

"Your welcome. Now go to sleep. Baka malate ka pa bukas." she said and kissed my forehead. "I've waited for so long to say that." she whispered.

Mom actually likes filipino tradition and I get why. They're so sweet. Mom can't tell me I'm going to be late in states because my class starts at 9. I think I have to adjust my time here.

I fell asleep and woke up to my mom's voice shouting downstairs telling me to get up.

I looked at my alarm clock and shit! it's 6:30 am and school start by 7:30!

I ran papunta sa cr and nagmadaling maligo at tumakbo pababa so I can catch up the school bus.

"Omygosh mom did I miss the school bus?" I asked her.

"ow honey, there's no school bus here. I'm going to see you off so hurry up and eat while I get the car."

Great, no school bus and I hurriedly went down for nothing.

"Good morning iha." manang greeted me. I kept wondering what iha means but I'm afraid it may sound rude.

"Good morning manang." I said and grabbed a sandwich and went oyt cause mom keeps on honking.

"Good luck." manang said and I waved goodbye.

"Mom, I'm late." I complained.

"Who's fault do you think it is?" she asked then smiled. Seriously? Is she annoying me? I laughed at the thought and shook my head.

"Sige na. Go down! Good luck sa first day mo. I love you! Mwa!" sabi nya as she tried to get rid of me.

I inhaled deeply as I started walking and reach the entrance.

Please be a good day please be a good day is what I'm saying inside my head.

A part pf me wants to head back home but hell, I'll never do that. I'll never turn back.

Where will my classroom would be? Ugh. I forgot to ask Heidi and I didn't even have a phone with me. I'm so pathetic.

Students started to lessen as they went to the classrooms and I'm left here standing and thinking how am I supposed to find that damn classroom.

Finally, my stupid brain seemed to function when I saw a guy leaning by the hallway.

I went near him and poked him. He didn't mind me and I poked him again. Finally, he removed his ear phones and looked at me with his irritated face.

"What?" he asked.

I rolled my eyes. Patience Xandra. I told myself.

"Where's the classroom for 4-B?" I asked.

"Sa third floor." he answered at nilagay ang earphones nya sa ears.

Hindi ko na sya sinabihan ng thanks since he's so rude and I didn't like his attitude.

I went to the third floor to look for mt classroom and the hallway was completely empty. Siguro nagsisimula na ang klase.

"Xandraaa!" I looked back to see Heidi running towards me and I was glad to see her. " Sorry a. Bakalimutan ko kasi sabihin sayo na dito ang department natin."

"it's okay." I said.

"Buti na lang nakaakyat ka dito sa third floor. Hahanapin pa sana kita e."

"I asked a guy kung saan ang classroom tapos sabi nya here daw sa third floor kaya I went up."

"Tara na?" sabi nya and she put her arm on my shoulders. "And please wag masyadong maconyo mano-nosebleed ako ng di oras."

Huh? Ung sinabi nya na last medyo di ko nagets pero there's no time to ask kasi biglang nag bell na.

Class started like the usual routine but since I'm the only transferee I have to introduce myself.

I stood up, chin up.

"I'm Xandra Callaway." I said then smiled and sat down.

"Is that it?" the teacher asked.

"Yes?" Sabi ko almost not sure. Is it not enough?

"Nakakaintindi ka ba ng tagalog?" tanong nya ulit.

"Yes." sabi ko ulit. But I need to improve and speak tagalog without a different accent.

"Very well, let's start the class." she said and the door went 'BAM'