Chapter sixteen

May was sure that her breathing and her heartbeat had been suspended for a few moments

May was sure that her breathing and her heartbeat had been suspended for a few moments. In front of her stood Yanjun, now dressed in a suit. She had already noticed a few times before how good-looking he was and what effect he had on women. But she would never have dreamed that one day he would have such an effect on her.

The black suit was adorned with a fine pattern, the black shirt that he wore underneath complimented his skin tone and the subtle jewelry he wore rounded off the outfit. All in all, he looked damn good. Yet his outfit was much more discreet than May's, so he would not over shine her.

Patiently, Yanjun waited for a comment although he had noticed May's gaze when he exited the bedroom. And he would have lied if he said that he did not like how she looked at him.

Finally, May found her voice again, "You look amazing! Wow! Stunning!".

"So do you," complimented Yanjun her once again.

He reached out to her and when May had grabbed his hand he led them both to the large mirror in the bedroom. He stopped beside May and left her time to look at the two in the mirror. His attention, meanwhile, was completely focused on her eyes, which had grown quite big in astonishment and admiration for the reflection.

When she spoke, his gaze fell to her lips for a moment. 'They look so soft. How they might feel? ' this thought shot through Yanjun's head. May had asked him a question but he had not paid attention and had to ask again. "Sorry, what did you say?" May laughed softly, making her lips quiver slightly and distracting Yanjun's gaze once again.

"I wanted to know if you think we can go like this?" May repeated her question.

Yanjun was taken aback. "Have you recently looked in the mirror," he exclaimed "You're wearing a dress like that and you're still unsure of what you look like. Wow, we need to work on your self-confidence."

Relieved, May laughed. "I just wanted to hear it again as a confirmation from you!" Yanjun took a step towards May, put his hands on her hips, and cautiously leaned against her ear. "You look beautiful." Satisfied, he watched as her cheeks turned a little pink and how her breathing started to get faster.

He straightened up again, took his left hand off her hip and stroked one of her strands of hair behind her ear. Meanwhile, his eyes were lovingly lost in her's and he reassured her, "Believe me, you look so pretty in this dress, of course you can go like this!"

The look in his eyes told May that he was serious. Instead of answering, she carefully rested her head in his palm, which was still beside her head. She closed her eyes and enjoyed for a brief moment the comforting warmth that had spread in her body because of Yanjun's words.

Yanjun took the opportunity to study May's facial features, which he had seen so often, yet it seemed to him that he was seeing them for the first time today.

Much too early for Yanjun's taste, the two were torn from the scene by the ringing of May's mobile. May opened her eyes and stormed into the living room in search of the noise's source. Yanjun followed her slightly annoyed by the sudden interruption.

When May finally got her cell phone, she recognized her father's number on the display. Hastened, she answered the call. Yanjun had in the meantime settled on her desk chair and followed the conversation with interest. Although he had overheard all of May's words, he asked her after she hung up what her father wanted.

"He wanted to know when I'm coming and if I bring someone." - "What was your answer?" - "That we'll be there for the reception." May finished her sentence with a small smile, Yanjun nodded monotonously, but May missed it.

"What does that suit look like?" May pointed to the last of the four garment bags that had not been opened yet.

Yanjun burst out laughing. After he had calmed down, he gestured to a confused May to open the sack. May did as she was told and when she opened the bag, a surprise came to light.

It was empty.

"But what...?" confused, she looked at Yanjun. He still had a mischievous grin on his face and said, "I knew you would choose the golden dress. I brought the other one for my own entertainment."

Yanjun had fooled her. She grabbed the next best throwing object - a pillow - and aimed in Yanjun's direction, although she was not really angry with him. Laughing, he evaded with a lightness and complained shortly after, "That was the second time." - "The second time what?" - "That you tried to hit me with a pillow!" With a demonic grin on her face, May replied, "You deserve it!"