Unsure

"Your Royal Highness" My butler says to me getting my attention. I turn to see mum at my bedroom door at Kensington Palace. "Princess Diana." He concludes and bows.

"Thank you Walter" I smile kindly at him.

"Walter will you give my daughter and I a moment please?" Mum asks and he nods walking out. "What are you doing?" Mum asks me as I put some books into a backpack.

"Packing" I tell her "For this weekend at Balmoral with the family." I shrug

"Yes I know what you are doing. What I mean is why are you packing instead of your "Royal Packers"" She asks me using quotation marks as she sits on my bed.

I chuckle at her shaking my head. "Mum I am twelve. I am perfectly capable of packing my own weekend bag. Beside its Charlie's daughters birthday. A mother should be able to spend her daughters birthday with her." I tell her and she smiles at me.

"I'm glad you think like that. It means you can think for yourself. You don't need people to do everything for you." She tells me taking my hand as I stand in front of her.

"Well you have done well to teach me, Wills, and Harry that there is a whole world out side of the palace walls." I tell her

"Ohhhh" She groans pulling me to sit on her lap as she hugs me "When did you get so grown up?" She asks and I shrug

"I dunno" I say hugging her arms that are wrapped around my middle as I sit on her lap.

"Well I dunno either" She mocks me. I stand up and continue packing. "Lovey are you okay?" She asks me using my nickname she gave me.

"Yes of course" I chuckle putting a top in my bag. She takes my hand again giving me a disbelieving look.

"Whats going on?" She asks me and I sigh. I sit beside her and we lay back on my bed.

"Just... promise me that at least this will never change. That you will always be here." I say looking up at my ceiling. I feel my mum go from also looking at the ceiling to now looking at me.

"Hey, look at me" She tells me but I ignore it because tears are threatening. "Adelaide Elizabeth Diana." She says calmly "Look at me" She says and I turn my head to look at her and as I do a tear falls. "You are my daughter and my best friend. I will always be here for you. Even if I am not physically here. You will always have me. Do you understand?" She asks and I nod. "Now where is all this coming from?" She asks.

"I know you can't come this weekend because you and Pa have divorced." I tell her and she nods sadly "I also know that you and I are closer than most mothers and daughters. You tell me everything. Well at least I hope you do. And I tell you everything. I don't want that to ever change."

"I do tell you everything lovey." She says and I smile at her.

"I will never be queen." I start "But Gran tells me that I will always be their princess. More so than those of the past. And I really don't want to. It scares me. But I know that as long as you are there. Right next to me. I will be okay."

"I promise you I will always be with you." She tells me. "Come on sit up" She says and hugs me tightly. "I have been waiting for the right moment to give you this" She takes her necklace that she always wears off of her neck and puts it around mine clasping it. I look down and hold the key necklace she just put on me.

"Why?" I ask

"So you know that even if I am not in the same country as you. As I will be this weekend. I will always be right next to your heart." She tells me

"And you've been planning on giving this to me?" I ask and she nods with a smile. "Why?"

"Now that... you will have to find out on your own" She smiles and hugs me kissing my head.

"Princess Diana" Walter says and we look up "Your car is here to take you to your plane." He tells us with a small smile. Mum and I stand up and she hugs me tightly for a few seconds, pulls away to give me a kiss on the cheek and then hugs me again.

"I love you baby girl" She tells me

"I love you too mummy" I say and she kisses my other cheek "Tell Dodie I say hi and have fun in Paris." I tell her "City of lovvvveeee" I smirk and elbow her lightly. She chuckles shaking her head.

"Have fun with the family at Balmoral Lovey. I love you so much" She says and hugs me again.

"Love you too" I tell her and she smiles at me and walks out.