Mummy

"Adelaide" I her somebody say softly as they sit on my bed and shake me lightly "Adelaide" They say again. I open my eyes and see dad. I flick on my bedside lamp. 

"Pa what are you doing?" I ask him "Its 2 am" I groan looking at the clock.

"I know darling but... I have to tell you something." He says and I sit up sensing his tone. 

"Whats wrong?" I ask 

"There isn't an easy way to say this" He says uneasily

"What is going on?" I ask growing impatient.

"Adelaide..." He sighs "There was an accident tonight." he tells me "Your mum" He adds and I shake my head.

"Pa what kind of an accident?" I ask and he just watches me "Well spit it out" I tell him

"A car accident." He tells me "Love mummy didn't make it." He adds

"This is a sick joke" I tell him angrily shaking my head.

"I wish this was a joke." He says and I rush out of bed and into the living area where my grandparents, aunts, and uncles are. All watching the news reports on my mothers accident. 

"Adelaide" Gran starts but I put my hand up silencing everyone in the room as I watch the news report.

"Princess Diana of the United Kingdom was killed tonight in a car accident evoked by the paparazzi. They were going through a tunnel and well the flashes were just to bright. Princess Diana passed away on her way to the hospital" The news anchor says and they show a picture of the car causing me to gasp.

"Addy" Pa starts as he puts a hand on my shoulder.

"Have you told William and Harry?" I ask still looking at the tv while all the adults look at me sadly.

"No." He says

"We need to tell them." I tell him "Now."

"I think we should let them sleep for now." He tells me "Just until we know more."

"Know more of what?" I ask "Our mother is dead and half the world already knows before them. We are telling them now." I demand and he sighs but nods as we walk into the boys' shared room. Once in there Pa gently wakes William as I wake Harry. They both groan as I flick on a lamp.

"Whats going on?" William asks as Pa sits on his bed next to him and I sit next to Harry. 

"Boys I need to tell you something. And it isn't easy." Pa starts and I put an arm around Harry who looks at me curiously. "Your mum was in a car accident tonight." he starts.

"Is she okay?" Harry asks quickly and William looks at me sadly. Already knowing the answer. 

"She isn't. Is she?" William asks looking at me and I shake my head sadly. 

"What?" Harry asks not able to digest this.

"Son." Pa says to him taking his hand "Mummy is in heaven now" He adds and Harry starts crying. Hard. Hugging me tightly I pull him in close.

"Its okay." I whisper to him "We will be okay." I tell him as he cries "William?" I ask checking on my other brother. He looks down and comes over to my other side and starts crying so I wrap an arm around him too. We three lean back on Harrys bed and Pa gives us the room. After a few hours William and harry eventually cry themselves to sleep. At around 6 am I get up from between them and walk back into my room to change into jeans and a black and white striped top with a blazer and black flats. I then go into the living area where my cousins have now joined. 

"Oh Addy" Eugenie says and rushes to hug me.

"Are William and Harry okay?" Zara asks me

"They've fallen asleep." I tell everyone.

"Are you okay?" Gran asks me as I play with the necklace my mum gave me just days before.

"I'm going for a walk." My voice cracks as I rush out. I go to the stables where the horses are. Some of the help are in there and are giving me sad looks. However I am grateful when they don't say anything. I get a horse saddled up and decide to ride around the grounds for a while. After around an hour my Aunt Anne walks out. I slow the horse and hop off.

"You okay darling?" She asks me as we walk back to the stables

"Like you care" I scoff

"I do care" She says softly but obviously taken back.

"You hate her." I roll my eyes "Hated" I correct myself "You all do."

"Adelaide I do not hate your mother. None of us do." She insists.

"Really? Because you all turned your back on her when she needed you most." I say and she looks at me confused "Mum and I tell each other everything." I tell her and she nods in understanding "Told" I correct again.

"Adelaide I promise you we did not hate your mother. She just... challenged us in ways we had never been challenged before. She was difficult but head strong. And she gave us three amazing children." Aunt Anne tries. 

"Are William and Harry up?" I ask and she nods "I should go check on them." I say and walk away.