CHAPTER 3 - Dangerous Fever

A/N: Hey guys, Grace here! I'm so amazed to suddenly see a random ass spike in reads and support and I appreciate it so so much! Enjoy! Also I'm sorry if these chapters seem a bit slow at first but I'm setting up the universe and characters...hopefully.

---

Year: 2016

Dimension: E-616

Reality: Abnormal//Query?Normal?... Status Unknown

. ...- . .-. -.-- - .... .. -. --. / .. ... / -... .-.. .- -.-. -.-

You trudged up the spiralling stairs towards your Brooklyn home on the fourth floor. The train ride had been long and tiring, your feet ached from walking around Oscorp and you couldn't get rid of the feeling of something crawling on your back. You kept itching and scratching and tugging at it but in the end, you left it down to your imagination. Puffed and exhausted you leant against the hand railing as you reached level ground.

"Bloody hell...If I don't get abs from this I swear..." You uttered to yourself sarcastically as you slid the key into its lock but only for the door to push open slightly with a creak. You took a step back and frowned. "That's strange." You pushed forwards and opened the door wide with your shoulder. The apartment was dead silent, and you could've sworn that you had locked it after you this morning. Your heart in your mouth, pulse racing, breathing unsteady. "Hello?" You called out tenderly and you pressed your back to the wall, readying your fists for an impending fight. You sucked in a long breath steadying your nerves before leaping out from hiding and into the lounge room. Poised and light on your feet. You scanned the room for any threats only for none to show, all except the pigeon tapping lightly at the window. You groan and stride over to the window, sliding it upwards you flick your hands towards the grey white bird.

"Shoo! Shoo! Argh, flying rat!" You slammed the window shut and dusted your hands off. As you turned on your heels you stopped dead in your tracks. David. Your foster parent. Sleeping in a drunken state, drool dripping from his mouth. Clean shaven and in a what was once a neatly ironed suit – now crinkled – David worked as an accountant for a fancy lawyer firm. When he wasn't in the financial district he could be found in hell's kitchen hitting up bars. So, to see him home this early was rare. But David wasn't a bad person – despite his minor alcoholism. At rare times when he wasn't gurgling around the apartment sometimes he'd say hello or even ask how your day was.

You clicked your fingers in front of his face several times before scoffing and crossing your arms. You marched to the kitchen and flung open the fridge, the bottles and jars clinking and rattling together.

"Hey yeah." You called out throughout the apartment addressing David but rather speaking to yourself. "My day was good, thanks for asking..." You began searching the fridge, collecting snacks and drinks to take to your room. "Met a new friend, he's names Peter by the way. Went to Oscorp. Made an enemy...How about you?" You closed the fridge door with a thud and walked past him. "Yeah, that's what I thought." You replied to the absence of words.

Slamming the door to your bedroom behind you, you headed straight for the window and slid it upwards. A pleasant breeze wafted throughout the small-ish room causing your curtains to go sailing for a brief moment. With a sigh you collapsed onto the side of your bed and shrugged your backpack off onto the floor. There it was again, that feeling, the feeling of something crawling up your spine. You shuddered and flailed to get your blazer off pelting it to the floor next to your backpack. Cautiously you peered over the side and scanned the ground only to see nothing. You shrugged and fell back to lay on your backside. Taking out your phone and browsing through the depths of the internet for the next few hours even though you knew you should've been doing some sort of homework. But for now, you'd take a hard pass on that.