Chapter 9: Caith - Events

Comincia dall'inizio

"Why did you not join the other, more appropriate order?"

"My mother died very recently, sir. I have my own farm. My grandfather disowned my mother, but my uncle gave me a small piece of his land. I lived there, with my mom and my sister. My mom always told me that I should join this order if I wanted to be a soldier. She told me that I would find more peace here."

"You have a sister?"

"A twin. I adore her. She is so beautiful. She has the same eyes I have, but she has blonde hair. It is more gold really. It is almost the same colour as yours, sir."

A male and female twin. They are the first twins. A long-forgotten prophecy rings a bell in his distant memory. About a twin born to a twin. Caith should tell his own twin about these. He was sure that she would find the prophecy and have an explanation

"Walter, you should go back to your farm and your sister. War is not easy. You get scars, physically and emotionally."

"I cannot go back. Not yet, sir. I have to join the order."

"Do you really want to?"

"Yes."

The boy waited a moment, deep in thought. "Yes," he said with more confidence and absolute certainty.

Caith waited before he replied.

The boy had potential. He could be the next leader of the order.

Caith was also curious to know everything about Walter.

"Welcome, son. You will start training when you leave this room. You will work hard before you are worthy of your oath."

"I will work very hard. I know I am worthy of this order."

Walter started to leave Caith's office.

"Walter, wait a moment."

Caith hesitated before he said his next words: "It will be difficult to adjust to this life. The elves are hostile towards humans here. You might find a friend in Prince Eoghan and his friends. The humans might befriend you, but always be careful. Trust only yourself, prince Eoghan and me. Walter, if you need anything, always trust the water."

"My mom also said that to me, before she died. The part about trusting the water."

"Your mother was a clever woman. Now go, Walter."

"Thank you, sir."

"Go, Walter."

"Yes, sir." The boy hurried out of the room.

Caith hoped that Walter would be able to find what he was looking for.

"Caith, what are you thinking of? You're smiling. You rarely do that."

"I'm thinking of the day you entered the Order, and how far you have come."

Walter blushed, and for a moment he looked like the boy from seven years ago.

"I'm proud of you, Walter."

"Thank you, Caith. That means a lot to me. It means to me more than anything else ever could."

Caith's smile vanished as he remembered the rest of that day.

Caith stood up and walked to the door. The boy did not close it when he exited. Caith found Eoghan Darkwood waiting outside with Ludel Strongwind, Damaris Farforest and Reynyn Floodfinder.