Chapter 1: Spring Thaw

"Its been forever since I've had a shower. I feel gross." I glanced outside, watching the trees go by in a relaxing show.  "Campsite should be coming up soon." Logan had been quiet since New York. He hadn't been sleeping either. It was worrying. "Wolvie, you doing okay?" I reached out to touch his arm. He flinched, making my heart break a little bit. "Sorry." He said glancing back at me. I stared at him. He knew I wanted to know what was going on in that thick adamantium skull of his. "What?" His tone becoming more annoyed as he felt my gaze. "What's going on with you? You won't sleep, you hardly eat, and you are so quiet! I don't expect you to talk to me all the time, but a conversation would be nice. " I may have come off more whiny than I meant too, but it was nothing but the truth.

"I'm fine." He coldly stated. "You don't sound fine." I shot back. He gripped the steering wheel a little tighter.  "Madelynn don't start." He warned behind gritted teeth. I gave into his wishes. I had already started a minor fight and I didn't want to escalate it more than I already did. "I'm going to get our stuff ready. Is the gun magazine loaded?" I asked while I unbuckled my seatbelt heading into the camper part of the truck. "Should be. Double check for me." Logan replied, pulling out a cheep cigar he picked up at our last fuel stop.

I unzipped the gun bag, we didn't have that much ammunition left. Maybe one weeks worth left for hunting. The stack of money Logan made the night before caught my eye. It was less than last time. We were barely able to survive on what he made last fight. I sighed. "I'll do what I can." I thought.  Grabbing my toiletry bag and strapping the holster to my hip we went out to the campsite showers.

The spring thaw was welcome. Warmer weather meant no more chances to slip on frozen roads, or get stuck in a sketchy bar for the night because of a freak blizzard. More hunting opportunities. Life with Logan was an adventure. I honestly loved it. But he was starting to frighten me. He seemed resentful at times. Which I knew wasn't him.

Walking into the bathrooms I saw dead leaves, bugs, and trash everywhere. The rangers hadn't been here since the collapse a few months ago. Good. I set my bag down and reached into the shower stall and turned the water on. I could hear the pipes sputtering and choking while the water tried to force its way to the shower head.

Within a few moments I noticed the water wasn't coming out. I rolled my eyes. "Logan!" I shouted, trying to get his attention. "Yeah?" He sounded like he was busy with something already. "Water pressure needs to be adjusted!" I walked out of the small building looking for him.  "Gimme a sec red." I could hear the rustling of tools and plastic bags come from the truck.

"Where'd you put the wrenches?" He asked not even looking back at me. "Should be in the tool bag like last time." I said a little more frustrated than the last time we spoke. I folded my arms watching him look for the bag which I was staring at. I grabbed them and cleared my throat to gain his attention. "Where were they?" He appeared more put out than usual. "They were right next to you Logan." I made sure to soften my voice. Logans mannerisms softened a bit in return. "Thats not were I left 'em." I pulled the bag away as he reached for them. "Madelynn." He threatened. "Logan you know I'm not scared of you. Tell me whats going on and you'll get these back. If not I'll just tighten the pipes myself." I put the bag down and folded my arms again. "You serious?" He almost scoffed. "Dead." My face became hardened, I was determined to work this out. "Why do you want to know so badly?" He mirrored my actions, crossing his arms. "Because I'm your wife." You could see the moment of realization hit him. He stared at me a few seconds longer, then sighed as his arms fell to his side.

"I've, I've been haven' dreams about you lately. Nightmares really." He looked away, rubbing the back of his neck. "And this is why you haven't been talking to me?" I was rightly confused. "No, no. Thats not why. You remember last week? After we came back from the fight?" Images from that night flashed across my mind. Walking from the bar, getting into the truck Logan kissing me and... one thing leading to another. "Yeah? So what." I looked at him waiting for his reason. "Later that night I woke up. Claws out and everything. And there you were, just sleeping like you were safe. Like there wasn't a killer laying next to you." His gaze was concentrated on his hands. His eyes boring into the spaces between his knuckles. With one hand rubbing his knuckles while he looked back at me, I could tell he felt foolish for not telling me sooner.

"Logan.-" He looked at me, telling me to stop. "I know. It was wrong to keep that from you." He shoved his hands in his pockets as I came closer. "Thats not what I was going to say." He raised his brow a little puzzled. "I was going to say that you don't need to carry this all on your own anymore. Let me help to lighten the burden. Let me be your wife." Reaching up, I cupped my hand around his cheek. His beard scratching at my palm. He lightly leaned in, closing his eyes. and putting his hand over mine. "You aren't a monster Logan. I should be a testament to that. You recused me from one, remember?" He gave a tiny smirk at the memory. "Seems like a life time ago." I smiled back. "Amazing how much can change within a year huh?" I picked up the bag of tools and practically shoved it in his hands. "Now hurry up. I want to shower. And if you're quick enough..."  I stood on my tiptoes. "You can shower with me." I winked, walking off towards the building.