CHAPTER 5

I opened my eyes to the brightness of the sun coming through the window. At first, I didn't realize where I was because I wasn't used to this room. But then it hit me. We moved. I get up and walk downstairs to the kitchen and grab out some Cheerios when my dad says:

"Don't eat yet Callie. We got invited for brunch at one of our neighbour's house."

"Can I just have cereal dad? I'm starving" I say feeling my stomach grumble.

"I don't want you to not be hungry when we get there. It is rude to not eat what they give you."

"Ugh. When do we leave and whose house is it?"

"In about an hour and the people across the street."

"Fine. But if I die of hunger that's on you!" I say while running back up to my room to grab my phone.

I received a text from Erica.

Text convo between Erica and Callie

Erica: Hey! I miss you!

Callie: Miss ya too :)

Erica: So meet anyone new?

Callie: Well there was this one person who said "hey" from across the street but I only heard them cuz it was dark out.

Erica: Ooooo. Potential love interest?

Callie: Um I couldn't tell if it was a guy or a girl, and for all I could know the person could be ugly.

Erica: Oh well. You will probably figure that out soon cuz they r your neighbour. 

Callie: Actually we r going to there house in like an hour for brunch.

Erica: Niceeeee. Tell me what they're like when you get back.

Callie: You betcha.

Erica: Sory I have to go. Byeeeee

Callie: Byeeeee :)

I scroll through Instagram for a while and then head into the shower. When I get out I change into some jean shorts with a t-shirt and start to blow dry my hair. Halfway through blow-drying my hair Connor comes barging into my room.

"Can you be any louder?" he asks clearly annoyed because I woke him up.

"Oh. Sorry," I respond kinda feeling guilty

"Yea. Thanks for waking me up," he says while walking back out.

Well, he clearly didn't get any sleep last night.

"Wait before you leave!" I call out to Connor.

"Ugh. What do you want now?"

"Well, first of all, we're having brunch with the people next door in like 15 minutes. And second of all, are you okay? You don't seem like yourself today."

"Well, maybe you shouldn't wake me up with your blow-dryer."

"Oh yeah, right, sorry about that."

"Yeah you should be," Connor says while he walks out.

15 minutes later my hair is dry and we are walking across the street with a cheese plater in hand.

"Um, why are we bringing a cheese plater over?" Connor asks.

"Man did we not teach you manners Connor? Whenever you get invited to eat at someone's house you always bring some type of food or wine as a thank-you gift for having you over," my dad explains.

"Oh. I guess that makes sense," Connor responds.

When we get to the door my dad hits the doorbell and a few seconds later a girl who looks about my age answers the door.

"Hi! You must be our new neighbours?" Wait. I recognize that voice. She was the person who said hey from across the street last night. "Mom, they're here!" She calls back.

We walk into the house and my dad says "It's so nice to meet you all."

A lady who looks to be a bit younger then my father walks in and introduces herself and the girl who opened the door. The lady's name is Eliza and her daughter's name is Emma.

"Hi! I'm David, and these are my children, Connor and Callie," he gestures towards us.

"It's nice to meet you guys," I say

"OMG, I recognize that voice! You're the girl I said hey to last night," Emma says.