Chapter 76: Whatever Comes Next

Start from the beginning

"I don't think they realize how aware we are of their fights," Marley shook her head. "I wish they'd just think of the team more... Then again, I'm not really one to talk."

"Marley, come on," he responded. "Nobody cares about the team more than you do so don't go beating yourself up. I have to go now but I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Umm yeah," she nodded, forcing a smile. "Later, John." 

***

"Ok, what do we need to do?" Carrie asked as she paced the floors of the girls' locker room.

"Take Julie down..." a disinterested group of Cheerios mumbled back.

Carrie frowned. "I'm sorry, what was that?" she said.

"Take Julie down," they said with a bit more force.

"Exactly," Carrie said as the door opened. The girls scrambled from their meeting place as Bree walked in.

"Calm down," she said, joining them. "It's just me."

"I'm surprised you made it," Carrie said, folding her arms. "I thought you might've gone soft and told your friend what we were up to."

Bree kept her facial expression callous and said, "She's not exactly a friend."

"That's good to hear," said Carrie, her hands now placed on her hips. "I know I can't trust Kitty Wilde to keep her loyalties where they should be but... You're a lot smarter than that, aren't you?"

Bree nodded, making a face at her and then turning to the other girls with her chin held high. "So what are we going to do first?" she asked.

"Oh it'll only take one move," Carrie said. "You do one thing... And leave the rest to us."

***

The following day at lunchtime, Dan asked Amity to meet him in the choir room. When she arrived, he said, "Took you long enough," a grin on his face.

"Class ended like forty seconds ago," she noted.

He chuckled. "Yeah, well, you should run a little faster next time," he joked. 

She smiled as she asked, "Well, what did you want me here for?"

"To do what we always do here," Dan shrugged. "Sing."

Once again, she grinned as he led her to their seats, where his guitar was already waiting. "So what will we be singing today for our empty room?" she asked with a laugh.

"This isn't for the glee club," he said as he rested the guitar on his lap. "This is for us. I'm not really a Lovato fan, I definitely have no idea what Bree's song was about and obviously I'm not a punk rock guy like your boyfriend but... I have my own idea of something that matters to me in glee club. And that's you and our friendship."

Amity felt all sorts of warmth at the sound of that, while Dan began to strum. She smiled as he began.

["Count on Me" by Bruno Mars.]

Dan: Oh uh-huh... If you ever find yourself stuck in the middle of the sea. I'll sail the world... to find you... If you ever find yourself lost in the dark and you can't see. I'll be the light to guide you.

She took a deep breath, glancing briefly at the open door, and joined him.

Both: Find out what we're made of when we are called to help our friends in need...

Dan: You can count on me like 1, 2, 3. I'll be there... And I know when I need it. I can count on you like 4, 3, 2. You'll be there... 'Cause that's what friends are supposed to do, oh yeah... Ooooooh, oooohhh yeah, yeah...