xxi . Claire Moore

Start from the beginning

There was a pained look on her face, "Chiron said no ... but—now that he isn't training heroes ... he's ... he's ..."

Annabeth looked to her hands, her eyes welling up with tears. I didn't want to think about it either. Chiron's sole purpose was to train heroes, and now that he isn't needed anymore, his life will just slowly waste away. Chiron was like a father to Annabeth and I—he was better than our real fathers, that's for sure. Seeing him gone without the chance to say goodbye like Percy and Annabeth made my chest tighten and my heart rise up in my throat.

The daughter of Athena soon recovered herself, taking a deep breath and standing up straight again. She began painting again. "Chiron made me swear on the River of Styx to look after Percy, and to remember the Prophecy ... when the time is right."

"When he reaches sixteen, yeah, I know," I said, pursing my lips.

Annabeth's grey eyes glanced up at me, "I ... I know you and Percy are fighting right now, but ..."

I didn't think before saying, "Annabeth, I'll help you protect him—I swear on the River of Styx."

There was a rumble in the sky, and the deal was sealed. Annabeth gave me a grateful smile, and I returned it.

After lunch, I joined my cabin in swordplay in the arena. I tried to explain to Kylie why I didn't join her, Jay and Lee in the Chariot races, but she had sniffed and turned away. Jay laughed and swung his sword around;

"They'll get over it," he told me. "Don't worry."

"I'm not worried," I answered. "I'm just annoyed."

"Everyone's tense, Claire," he passed me a sword. "With Thalia's tree dying and Tantalus about, all the monsters finding a way into camp ..."

"I want to go against Tantalus and help somehow," I mumbled, walking to where everyone else was in the middle of the arena. "But I don't know how."

"I'll help," said Jay, determined. "This is my home and I want to protect it."

I gave him a grateful smile. "Thanks."

We joined the group that casually formatted into a circle, waiting for the first two opponents to arise. I frowned when I saw a familiar mop of black hair among the golden and angry sea-green eyes.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him, and Percy turned to face me.

"What do you think I'm doing?" he replied back smartly. "We're in a sword arena."

"Yeah, I see that."

"Well, then—"

"Smart-ass. I meant what're you doing here, with the Apollo cabin," I told him, crossing my arms. "You're the son of Poseidon."

"Well," he uncapped Riptide. "Since Luke isn't here to train me anymore ..."

I tried to ignore the pang of anger and hurt whenever Luke was mentioned. "Yeah, well, go find some other cabin to annoy, just not mine. Try Athena cabin—Annabeth isn't angry with you, I am. Now shoo."

I tried to push him away, but he dug his heels in the dirt underneath and wouldn't budge. "Percy!"

"Oh, come on, Claire," Lee stepped in, "Just let the kid practice."

I pulled away, and sent a glare Lee's way. But it was hard when he was much taller than me and older, so in the end, I huffed and said, "Fine!