Gavin shrugged a little after a few moments. "I guess because we are around each other a lot. I mean, I'm around you more than most people, and who says you're not important to me? You're important enough for me to protect you," he pointed out.

Ava figured he was just whisking her away because he was a decent person that didn't want her to be left behind to just be attacked. She still didn't think she really meant anything to Gavin. She was just another student to him, and she didn't even know him, so he was just another professor to her. "I'm tired," she murmured, her usual bubbly and friendly personality being buried beneath too many layers of anxiety and exhaustion. She felt like she had to take a break from herself to deal with the situation.

"There should be a motel up here soon," Gavin told her, his shoulders slumping just slightly as he nodded to a few lights popping up on the horizon, signaling that there was a small town up ahead.

Ava looked out of the passenger window at the small shops and gas stations passing by, her eyes eventually landing on a rundown motel with a lit up vacancy sign. She figured it would have to do for the night. She was so tired that she would have been fine sleeping in the car. She just needed to escape from her reality for a little while at least so that she could rest her mind and try to approach the situation fresh.

Gavin pulled into the parking lot of the motel, its walls peeling red paint. He parked in front of the office and hopped out to grab them a room, leaving Ava alone in the car.

Ava glanced around, noting how still and dark everything around her was then. She didn't see a single soul. If the hotel's vacancy sign wasn't lit, she would've believed that this was a ghost town. Maybe this was a good place to stay and hide out for awhile. She doubted that there was any good reason for anyone to come out to this deserted looking place. She could've sworn she saw cobwebs on the glowing sign. Her eyes shifted over to see Gavin walking back to the car, his hand motioning for her to get out. She slipped out of the car, noting that he was holding one key.

Gavin noticed the confused look on her face, a sheepish look crossing his face. "A lot of the rooms are under maintenance. They have one available with a queen bed, but I'll sleep on the floor," he assured her, the last part coming out quickly and almost defensively. He gave her an apologetic expression before locking his car and leading her to one of the chipped doors near his car. He unlocked the door with the silver key and pushed the door open, having to use a little force to get it to budge. "I'll figure out better arrangements for us tomorrow."

Ava merely nodded, feeling too tired to really care about the rundown condition of the motel. At least the bed was made. She immediately plopped down onto its surface, not even bothering to slip under the covers or remove her black sneakers that she had slipped on last minute at the dorm. She nestled her head against the pillow, her head feeling heavy from exhaustion and thoughts. She couldn't tell which one was heavier. She just hoped some of the weight would be lifted by the time she woke up.

"Mind if I borrow a sheet?" Gavin's awkward voice sounded a few seconds later.

Ava immediately shuffled off of the bed, letting him pull a sheet from the bed and grab one of the pillows to set himself up on the floor. She felt bad seeing him sleep on the floor, prompting her to part her lips to speak. "You can sleep here," she started to say, beginning to motion to the bed.

Gavin put his hand up and shook his head, giving her a polite smile. "It's yours. I've already disrupted your night. I don't want to make you even more uncomfortable," he told her as he puffed the pillow before laying his head down on it. "I've slept in worse conditions," he assured her, trying to coax the guilty look off of her face.

"Okay," Ava sighed, giving into him. She believed him for some reason. He seemed like he had gone through a lot. She kicked off her shoes and slipped under the covers, trying to get comfortable as she settled back in the bed. She stared up at the ceiling through the darkness, her eyes gradually growing heavier and heavier.

"Goodnight, Ava," Gavin's voice came out so softly that she almost didn't hear him speak.

"Goodnight," Ava replied back, her voice bordering on a whisper, like if she spoke too loud then they would be found. She didn't want to know what all would happen if they got caught. She didn't even know who she was dealing. Criminals? Maybe even murderers? She breathed in deep, trying to calm her fluttering heart. She needed to sleep and rest up for tomorrow because she knew it would be a whole other day of running.

A sudden sadness settled in her chest as she thought about her friends and how far away they seemed already. She missed them. She needed to talk to them and have their support so badly right now, but she couldn't talk to them. She had received numerous texts and calls from them during the drive, but she didn't pick up or even read the messages. She had to keep them in the dark for their safety. The pain and sadness she felt would be worth them staying alive. She could handle the lonely feeling.

Her eyes shifted to the right a little to where she suspected Gavin was laying on the floor at, her frown deepening. She wondered what her life would be like if she hadn't seen Gavin hitting that other man in the alleyway. They would've just basically ignored each other as much as possible besides classroom interaction. She wouldn't have gone to his office hours or stayed to talk to him after class so much. They wouldn't have been seen together. She wouldn't have been dragged into this situation. She had literally taken a wrong turn, and there was no way for her to back out now.