ix.

"well, baby brother. you are looking quite dashing in that tux of yours." holly smiled. ashton sighed deeply and forced a grin in return.

ashton was still heartbroken over what happened monday with luke and mia. he skipped school most of the week, unable to be around luke without throwing punches, and also unable to be around mia without crying on the spot. he missed her more than anything.

"thanks, holly. ready to go?"

ashton's sister nodded. ashton had decided to bring his older sister as his prom date, considering the only girl he could dream of going with wouldn't even speak to him. ashton and holly loaded up in the jeep and began the drive to the hilton.

across town, a blonde boy in a black tux to match his lip ring and a red bowtie knocked lightly on a door. a skinny brunette girl opened the door and looked him straight in the face, clad in a pink floyd t-shirt, stretched out in the neck and painted with bleach stains, a pair of grey shorts, and her hair tied up in a bun on her head.

"l-luke? what are you doing here?"

"i'm here to take you to prom, mia."

mia sighed. "but, luke-"

"mia, please. you can't miss your senior prom. it's like a crime against nature or something."

"i don't even have a dress!"

an older man, around 40 stepped into the corridor suddenly. "mia, are you talking about prom?"

she turned around and nodded at her father.

"come with me. your mother had a dress i know she would have wanted you to have. you can come in, too, young man."

luke stepped inside and took a seat while mia followed her dad upstairs. he handed her a white, lace prom dress and a pair of shoes. quickly, mia slid into it and shook her hair down from its bun. she curled each strand as fast as her small hands could go, and she added some makeup to her face.

she managed to make her way to luke's car, with a little bit of help, without tripping over herself, and the two of them headed to the prom.

ashton and holly arrived right after luke and mia, just in time for ashton to see luke take her hand in his and lead her inside. ashton could barely contain himself from ripping him away from her and taking mia into his arms.

they all arrived in the ballroom of the hilton, where the lights were dim and music was blaring. mia tensed up immediately, feeling lost and out of place among the crowd.

ashton and holly split up, as holly made her way into the crowd and ashton backed off to the side.

"hey, ashton?" a familiar voice asked timidly. ashton turned to face the tanned boy.

"uh, calum?"

the boy nodded. "yeah, that's me. uh, why aren't you with mia?"

ashton shrugged. "i was stupid, kid. i really was. i'm sorry."

as calum began to reply, principal akers stepped onstage and cleared his throat. "now, it's time to announce prom king and queen!"

the whole room grew quiet, the lights raising and the music lowering. "this year's springfield senior highschool prom king is... ashton irwin!!!"

ashton sucked in his breath and forced a smile as he made his way onto the stage, applause filling his ears. silently, he prayed for mia to be queen, not because of the bet, but because then he would be able to see her and hold her and touch her again.

"and your prom queen goes to... scarlett graham!"

ashton cursed to himself as the blonde arrogantly climbed to his side, forcing him to take her arm in his.

as ashton looked out into the crowd while scarlett made some bullshit speech, he noticed luke pulling mia along, out the door. his heart raced and his stomach felt sick. he pulled out of the girl's grasp and rushed to follow the two of them out, but he lost them somewhere along the line.

"calum!" he cried, running over to the boy who was now talking to his sister. "did you talk to mia?"

"dude, you gotta go. i heard him talking about taking her back to a motel room or something."

ashton felt fire in his bones. "can you take my sister home?"

calum nodded. "yeah, yeah. just go!"

ashton ignored all of the shouts of his name and pushed through the doors and into the parking lot, where luke's volkswagen jetta was nowhere to be seen.

"fuck," ashton hissed. he jumped into the jeep and sped off to the one place he knew he'd find her.

***

there's only one chapter left oh no