13. Black Truth

Jamie and Hermione opened the door leading them to a room with a falling staircase. The room was deserted with the sense of gloominess. The wallpaper was already peeling away, the ceilings were filled with cobwebs, and the remaining pieces of furniture were filled with dust. The floorboards look like it is about to give up with the whole shack anytime they will step on it.

"Aren't we in the Shrieking Shack?" Hermione whispered beside Jamie, her wand was out with the tip illuminating a light.

"We are. I kind of saw this passageway in the map." Jamie affirmed and had stared at the dusty window, it's already dark outside.

There was a creak above them, and they both look at it. Someone was here too, Jamie wishes she brings the cloak with her. Something had moved again overhead, causing the floorboards to creak again under the weight.

Hermione's grip on her arm tightened when they took a step in the crumbling stairs silently as fast as they can. They reached the top stairs before they have stopped to examine the floor. The walls have some holes on it like someone had a punch out of rage, it was all black that it gives Jamie the creeps as it is on the outside.

They saw a toppling black door that was opened halfway. Unlike any other closed doors, It was missing a big chunk as if someone had taken a bite on it.

They reached the door and were greeted by Crookshanks sitting atop of the four poster bead with tattered hangings covered of dust. There were almost no pieces of furniture in sight, except for a table and a chair. The cat was purring loudly, while on Crookshank's mouth is Not-Scabbers still secured by the cat's fangs.

Hermione instantly walked across the room to grab Crookshanks. Jamie followed suit but stopped halfway when she heard the door's hinges in the air as it closed. Hermione froze when she noticed what lies behind Jamie.

it's the third time she did that today, and I hate it every time. Jamie thought wearily to herself.

"It's him, isn't it?" Jamie croaked to Hermione, who nodded with a look on her face.

Jamie turned around and took a backstep to Hermione when she saw the man hiding behind the darkness. He have the sunken eyes of the corpse. his hair matted like he hasn't showered under the stress of hiding. His teeth are yellow in color as he bares it to them. His clothes are ragged and tattered in different places.

Jamie memorized his picture in the newspaper, How he trashed against, and How he laughed at the picture maniacally.

It's Sirius Black.

Jamie twisted her arm and caught her wand to point it at the figure of Sirius Black. Hermione did the same, the both of them are breathing somewhat anxiously. She felt the tremors on her hand coming back, as she was starting to be filled with anger Jamie felt after she heard the story of the murder in the night.

"Very brave of you to come here tonight, Harriet Jamie Potter." Says Sirius, his voice rough from being not used for a very long time. "You remind me of James in many ways you can't imagine."

"You!" Jamie shouted in anger. Just the mere mention of her parents enough to boil her blood, "You- You killed my parents! I'll make sure you are going to pay for that!"

"Look at me, Jamie." Sirius took a step forward, and Jamie did the opposite. "Do you think you can kill me?"

The taunt from Sirius Black wakes what was sleeping inside her. Jamie felt the rage soaring on her veins, as her vision tinged with Red when Sirius Black smiled at her. Her hand shook violently with the anger venting out of her.