epilogue

★

★.*・.*・*

"Late again, are you Mr. Malfoy?" Remus Lupin looked up from a pile of parchment and sighed, "Eight times in five days."

Many students remained unbothered by Draco appearing late in all his classes, it wasn't new nowadays. But for some, mainly Slytherins, it was still hard to digest the fact that he showed up late to Defence Against the Dark Arts without care- that he purposely missed chances to call out Professor Lupin for his insecurities that were all so evident. 

"Maybe he plans to throw bigger insults at him?"

"What if he finds us as an uninteresting audience?"

"To think of it, I've always been too dumb to get all his insults- or else I would've laughed along with them all!"

They all made assumptions. They always did. But Draco wasn't bothered, at the least. His eyes unknowingly drifted to the back of Hermione Granger's head.

She was busy scribbling away all the possibilities that'd probably prevent her from being at the top of the class. 

"Eighth time this week," Lupin repeated. Draco made an uninterested nod his way and sat down at the nearest seat to Pansy Parkinson.

Obviously, I haven't caught feelings for her! It's impossible really; to actually like Hermione Granger! But has she really let the event pass by her so fast?

He'd thought about it for days now. He still felt the spark of actually time-traveling, and still felt the sense of bravery that washed over him once he held her hand in his. As if he needed to protect her. It was embarrassing to know that Hermione didn't value that time half as much as he did. But as much as he tried to push that event out of his head, and all the excitement that accompanied it; the more desirable they seemed to daydream about. His mind would be filled with questions- it was all so new.

What if we didn't reverse it all? Is that how Potter and Weasley feel each time they embark on something different with Granger?

He'd look at her during the feast and in between classes, and sometimes she'd even pass him a smile if she noticed him. His insides would warm up every time she'd smile at him, it felt genuine. As if she was happy at him without tieing him to a bag of expectations. It felt great. But that was all that she gave him. 

He would hear about her quite a lot. It was hard to not hear of the Golden Trio every time Hogwarts was saved from something or the other.

He knew what everyone in the school did, you didn't have to be Granger's to know of it- how her eyes sparkled each time her brilliant mind lit up with a brilliant idea. Hogwart's magic was nothing as compared to the magic that danced in her eyes, every time they glinted with creativity.

However, you cannot always achieve what keeps you away from the present tense- even if your desire for it happens to be the strongest.

★.*・.*・*

♤♡◇♧