"Why you little..."

He's after me in a flash and, unfortunately for me, I'd greatly misjudged his athleticism. He has me snatched up in his arms in seconds, my body thrown over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes. I'm immediately self-conscious, wondering if he's startled by my obvious weight gain. We're used to rough-housing with each other. He was always picking me up and lugging me around when we were in college, but it's been five years and let me just say, I'm probably heavier than I look. Thankfully, Andy doesn't even grunt or show the slightest indication of exertion.

He makes quick footwork of getting down the stairs and then chucks me onto the basement couch before turning toward the shelf of dvds.

"Here we go," he says, yanking the DVD from its home and wiggling it in the air. "Guardians of the Galaxy."

"Oh boy!" I squeal, clapping my hands like a child. "Oh, shoot! My snacks!"

I bolt from the couch and hurry up to the front door where my bag of goodies sits waiting. Thankfully, the ice cream hasn't melted much, so I snatch it up and mosey back into the basement. When I arrive, I find Andy on his phone, his voice hushed as he speaks with his back to me. When he senses that I've returned, he covers the mouthpiece and whispers that he'll be right back. Then he's casually climbing the stairs and disappearing out of sight.

The basement has small, high-ceiling windows in it that are level with the ground outside, so I'm able to see Andy's feet when he steps onto the sidewalk. I see nothing but his jean-clad legs as he paces back and forth on the pavement. I'm about to give up watching for him to enter the house again but just as I go to pull my phone out so I can entertain myself with the latest mindless game I'd downloaded, a sleek silver car pulls up out front. When the door swings open and a pair of impossibly long legs slide out, I'm completely enthralled.

Andy makes his way to the redhead who's just stepped foot on his driveway, her black stiletto's most likely clip-clopping toward him even though I can't hear anything. The two converse and for a moment I wonder if she's his latest fling. I've never known Andy to have a fling before—he's more of the serious relationship type—but I can't imagine the woman standing before him to want more than just a good time. Her entire attire screams 'dance, play, be on my way.'

I feel like I'm watching a soap opera, waiting for the moment when Andy takes the woman in his arms and bends her back as he leans down for a passionate kiss. Instead, I see the redhead scowl at him before waving her hand dismissively in his face and stalking back to her car. The tires screech as she pulls away and Andy simply shakes his head before pivoting around and heading back toward the house.

I divert my gaze but not before catching the lines of fatigue woven into his forehead. He's clearly stressed and I briefly wonder if I should bother bringing up my stalker to him tonight like I'd originally planned. Deciding to just see how the evening plays out, I stand to grab a spoon from the kitchenette before settling back onto the couch with my dessert.

"Everything okay?" I ask when Andy shuffles back down the stairs.

"Yeah," he sighs, shrugging a single shoulder as he makes his way to the cupboard and pulls out a glass and fills it with water.

I eye him for a moment, watching the stiffness in his shoulders slowly unravel.

"You sure?"

His gaze finds mine as he settles into the couch and takes a long drink. We watch each other over the rim of his glass until he's downed every last drop of water and then he sets the cup on the side table.

"I'm sure everything will be fine," he reassures me, though I'm pretty sure he's the one who needs assurance right now.

"Okay." Doubt is heavily woven into the single word but Andy ignores it as he grabs for the remote. "You'd talk to me if there was something bothering you, right?"

"If I ever feel the need to chitchat about my drama, then yes," he jokes, glancing at me from the corner of his eye and smirking. "You'll be the first to know all about it."

He hits play, adjusts the volume and then settles back against the couch.

"Is it girlfriend problems?" I persist, clamping my lips together to seal my smile from his scrutinizing gaze. "You got a special lady in your life? Do you need relationship advice? Ask me anything. I'm an expert on all things 'girl.'"

"I'm sure you are," he laughs, though I don't miss the slight flicker of his eyes over my body.

My mouth drops open. "Andy Fletcher! Did you just check me out?"

The laugh that fills the room doesn't even phase me. I'm too stunned by Andy's blatant perusal of my figure to find the humor in it. He, on the other hand, can't seem to get his cackling under control.

"What?" I squirm. "Is it such a ridiculous concept?"

"No—"

"Who would ever go so far as to check out Lindsey—"

"No." The humor has vanished from Andy's face, his laughter coming to an abrupt halt.

"—the girl who's now just a blob of who she once was," I continue, ignoring the astonished look on his face.

"Lindsey—"

"I get it," I say, lifting my pint of ice cream in the air. "This is my enemy—"

"Come on, Linds—"

"But why does my enemy have to taste so marvelous?"

"—Lindsey!"

I turn my attention to my ice cream. "I eat enemies like you for breakfast!" I yell at it, pointing my spoon at the container in accusation.

"What on earth...?" I hear Andy whisper beside me, and I chance a quick glance at him to find a lopsided grin tugging at his lips. When he catches my eye, my facade breaks and we're both cackling together. "You had me there for a second," he admits around his laughter.

"Yeah, well," I shrug, trying to catch my breath. "It's mostly true, but I think I've learned to accept my new fluffy self."

"Oh, shut up," Andy groans. "You're gorgeous. Besides, I think most guys prefer a little something to hold onto besides bones."

"Oh, really?" I question, brows raised in sly speculation.

"Yes," he nods. "I am one of those guys."

"Hmmm." I tap my spoon against my chin in playful appraisal. "Interesting. Very interesting."

"Okay, shut up," Andy says, yanking his long legs up onto the couch and shoving them against my thigh. "The movie's starting now."

"The movie's starting now," I mock childishly, sticking my spoon in my mouth and using my free hand to pull his legs into my lap. I'd rather his legs be on me than trying to smash me into the fabric of the armrest.

Then I settle in to enjoy the movie, the suspicious notes and my possible stalker temporarily forgotten.

---

I, personally, loved this chapter. Anyone else with me? What did you enjoy most?