Chapter Twenty Seven

Start from the beginning

You'd expect Cameron's retort to be something sarcastic, or arrogant. Something like; 'don't trust Danni because I kind of know he has feelings for you so I'm going to be a butt hole about it and make things complicated.' But I seem to keep forgetting that Cameron wasn't quite the guy I thought he was. And I was still a little unsure if that was a good thing.

Any other way, things were already and will always be complicated in this life.

"Just because he's from the ROI shouldn't change your opinion of a person you thought you knew. You do know Danni, just not all of his story." is what Cameron says instead.

I don't reply not because I don't want to, but because I have no idea how to. Instead, I stand on my tip toes and do the unexpected of what Serena would never do.

I kissed Cameron on the cheek out of instinct. Not because I felt forced to, or because I finally determined my feelings; I was still completely in the middle of that unknown mess and the results of many other aspects and key components playing in. I kissed him on the cheek because I felt that I had to thank him other than in the way of saying the lame 'thank you' or 'I appreciate it,' because that seems to be overrated, and I use it all the time. A little new is good. A little different is okay. And a little normal, well things will never be normal.

"It's friendly." I say after awhile, seeing that Cameron wasn't as fazed by the kiss than I thought he would be. People tend to surprise you.

"Of course it was friendly." Cameron replies. "What I was wondering was if it was Ariana Castel, or the other one."

"Don't push it." I groan, nudging him in the shoulder. "But it happened to be 'the other one' as you call it." I could feel Cameron's smirk even if I wasn't looking at him.

"Good then. I like Serena. Ariana's overrated."

"So is Tristan." I say back.

"So does that mean you like the other one?"

"He's not bad." I laugh as Cameron rolls his eyes but joins me. I look back to the spot Mr. Thompson was standing in, but the difference was he wasn't occupying it anymore.

Shivers rush up spine and my face turns pale. I yank back from Cameron's shoulder. "We've got to go." I say hurriedly.

Cameron gets the message and he follows me as I dart off, shoving my way past the energetic party crowd and passing the doors through the gym. Once I exit and find myself in the dimmed hallway, I halt to a stop. The sound of the music is faint and blared now, as I shut out the irrelevant sounds. My eyes scan the hall as I remain calm; though my fingers find their way to the skirt of my dress, and I distractingly play with the fabric between two fingertips. I look back and forth between left and right; each side similar only because of their rows of rusted lockers.

"Which way?" I think aloud, remembering Cameron's still at my side.

"Left." he says sincerely. I glance up to him and he looks so sure. So I don't question him as my legs move left and down the new hallway.

It's very quiet now; not even the sound of music from the gym can be heard, and our footsteps don't echo or clash. The only thing I can hear is the sound of my hitched breathing; as the paces aren't even.

Cameron abruptly yanks my arm and sends me flying towards the lockers, but I put my arms in front of my chest and slow to a stop as my back hits the doors of the lockers as gently as I could manage. Cameron himself is against the lockers also; both our bodies flat and in line with the walls. He shoves an arm against me as I stand there frozen against the lockers. I crane my neck and watch as Cameron peeks his head from the corner.