Chapter Twenty Seven

Chapter 27

The smell of fruit and sugar danced around my nose as I stirred the spoon in the punch bowl slowly, eying the two people from across the gym as I casually poured myself a cup of light red liquid. I had to admit, Mr. Thompson and Ms. Potter were quite the actors, mingling like regular teachers would and smiling towards the students who made their way to the dance floor. Not once did either of them send one look towards me, but I could see it in the corners of their eyes; they knew I was onto them. They were practically shouting 'I'm nervous and I'm showing it out to the whole school'; not that anyone actually cared about their actions.

Mr. Thompson twirled the tip of his feathered pen that smudges ink with one hand from his pocket, the occasional and fast flicker of his eyes from Ms. Potter to the stage was a huge set off. Ms. Potter fumbled with the end of her gray cardigan, and when it was her turn to laugh at something that Mr. Thompson has said, it would come by too fast and her voice cracked when it did. Typical sign of nervousness.

"Enjoying the punch, are we?" A familiar voice whispers ghastly in my ear, and I freeze rather than stumbling back.

"It's pretty good." I go along, taking my first sip from the plastic cup, and walking away from the punch line, letting my eyes advert away from Ms. Potter and Mr. Thompson for right now.

I look down to the red punch, watching the liquid toss and turn like a miniature ocean, knowing that drowning was a possibility. But of course I wasn't much the risk taker as Danni was, so I turned away from water.

"Why would you abandon your date?" I raise an eyebrow, looking to the empty spot next to Cameron.

He gapes at me and rolls his eyes. "Alexis isn't my date. I didn't bring one." he explains to me, knowing it was a waste of breath. "What about yours? Leaving Danni to dance alone? Not very lady-like." he challenges me back, but I was used to Cameron's little games already.

"I'm not quite your average lady, though, am I?" there's a sly smile to my lips, and I tilt my head to the side, eying Cameron.

"Now there's something we can agree on." he nods satisfyingly.

"Glad we could settle upon this." I say back in a matter of fact.

I look back to Ms. Potter and Mr. Thompson, watching as Ms. Potter exits the gym; going in the direction of the bathrooms. Shivers run up my spine and my arms tense just like they do when someone touches me. It's the paranoia and the over thinking. I don't have to worry until both of them leave the gym. Or maybe worrying wasn't an option; but taking action definitely was.

"Let's go dance." I say a little too quickly, but yank Cameron along with me towards the dance floor. He's taken aback, but goes along anyways.

Cameron adjusts his mask as we both stand together on the dance floor. I can tell he's being cautious when he puts his hands on my waist; and I awkwardly place my hands on his shoulders.

"Potter exited the gym." I say in a hushed voice close to Cameron's ear. He lifts his chin up as a slight nod.

We both sway in unison as my eyes stay glued to Mr. Thompson, watching as he trades off chaperoning and then getting punch and then talking to other teachers and the occasional students. Ms. Potter hasn't came back from her bathroom break just yet.

"Can I ask you for advice?" I blurt out to Cameron, and it's too late to take it back.

"I assumed that I would be the last person to here those words come out of your mouth." Cameron jokes, but when I don't return the gesture, his eyes go dark.

"Ask away." he replies.

"I'm not sure what to think of Danni...now that he's...you know." there's multiple pauses to my sentence, making the amount of time that Cameron will be reply longer.