Chapter Nine

As we entered the lift Bucky slowly dropped my hand.

"Everything okay?" I looked up at him, worried he was already regretting it. Maybe I was a awful at kissing; it wasn't exactly like I had a lot of practice.

"I just don't want this to be what everyone remembers about today. I want you to enjoy the party, without the teasing that the others with inevitably give us." I stared up at him.

"You're perfect," I mumbled, as he grinned down at me, shaking his head.

"I'm far from that doll."

There it was. The nickname that made my stomach churn with adoration and butterflies. He could obviously see the effect it gave me, as he bent down and pressed a kiss to the top of my head, before slowly stepping away, distancing himself as the doors opened.

"Pete get us a drink will you? I fancy having the night off as a bartender."

Peter jumped up from the sofa grinning and leapt over to the bar in the corner of the room. I settled down on an armchair, while Bucky sat next to Steve on the sofa next to me. Clint, Nat and Lila were sat on the sofa opposite, whilst Bruce and Tony were sat in armchairs. Sam and Peter had collapsed on the bean bags, and I grinned as I sipped my cider.

"Who wants to start?" Tony asked, leaning forward. Everyone looked around as he sighed. "Guess it's me then." He stood up and walked over, passing me an envelope. "Happy birthday kid."

"Thanks Tony." He sat on the armrest as I slid the envelope open. Inside was a small piece of white card with a number written in swirling font. "Um... thanks." I smiled at him, a little confused.

Tony bellowed a laugh, "its a floor number."

I stared at him, "I'm sorry?"

"Your floor number. You get a floor." My mouth fell open, and I stared at him. "Tony, I don't need an entire-"

He waved his hand "nonsense. Everyone gets a floor, even the silent winter over there. If you're a part of the family, you get a floor."

I looked at Peter, "do you have one?"

He waved his bottle at me "got one when I was 17."

I stared at him, then wrapped my arms around Tony "thank you" I mumbled, shocked.

He patted my back "yeah well... I don't do a lot of physical contact so... happy birthday." He tapped my head and I pulled away, a grin stuck on my face.

Bruce gave me a frame with an image of the solar system from the day I was born. Which was amazing - I've planned on hanging it in my new room.

Nat smiled at me, "you're kind of wearing my present."

Clint gave Lila a small box and she walked over to me. I picked her up and sat her on my lap as I opened her card. She'd drawn balloons and cake on the front and written happy birthday Ammy on the inside.

"Thank you" I kissed the top of her head and kept her on my lap as I opened the gift. There was a small metal ring, twisted so it sat not quite fully complete. One end had some feathers and the other had the pointed tip of an arrow. I slipped it on, "Clint this is beautiful. You didn't have to!"

Clint shrugged, "Lila chose it."

She grinned at me, "daddy helped." I nodded as she climbed down and began playing with things around the room.

Sam passed me a cocktail book, and as I flipped through it, a slip of paper fell out with complicated instructions to a drink I'd never heard of before. "The Wilson. Best cocktail ever, invented when I was in the force. Made out of rations. I don't give that recipe to just anyone."