Millie the Mixed-up Mail Carrier

Millie the Mail Carrier worked hard delivering letters, and she was always in a hurry. She hated to keep the people on her round waiting – and Mr. Price the Postmaster always expected her back at the mail office by 12 o'clock.

One morning Millie was in a bigger hurry than ever. She had overslept and was late for work! "Hurry, hurry, rush and hurry!" Millie muttered to herself as she rushed out the door.

"People are waiting for their mail!" Millie the Mail Carrier said to herself, as she sped to the mail office on her bike. "And Mr. Price will be waiting for me!" She zoomed down the street as fast as her bike would go.

"Sorry I'm late, Mr. Price," Millie puffed as she flew through the mail office door.

"Good morning, Millie!" said Mr. Price. "Your mailbag is ready – and it looks very full today!"

"Thanks, Mr. Price," said Millie. "I'll have to hurry, with all those letters and parcels!" Millie sped down Main Street and tore around the corner of Jackson Road. She was going so fast that she didn't see the removal truck in front of her until it was too late! "LOOK OUT!" shouted the removal men. "Oh dear!" shouted Millie, as she flew off her bike. Everything in Millie's mailbag was flying, too!

"Oh no! It will take ages to collect all these!" cried Millie, when she had stood up and dusted herself off, "and I'm in such a hurry today!"

The removal men helped Millie collect all the letters, postcards and parcels and put them back in her bag. It wasn't too long before she was ready to go.

But when Millie picked up her bike, she saw that the tire was flat! "I've got a puncture!" she cried. "I can't ride this now. What will I do?"

"You'll have to walk your round today, Millie," said one of the removal men.

"Oh no!" said Millie. "I'm late enough as it is! I'd better get going!" Millie delivered the mail as quickly as she could.

But she was in such a hurry that she got all the names and addresses mixed up!

Mr. Green, on Jackson Road, was expecting a parcel of books. Instead, he got two letters and a power bill addressed to Mrs. Jackson!

Mrs. Jackson, who lived on Holly Drive, got a magazine that was supposed to go to Holly Walker!

And Holly Walker, who lived on Green Street, got the parcel of books meant for Mr. Green!

Everybody was terribly confused especially Millie the Mail Carrier "I must be going mad!" she exclaimed.

Millie rushed and hurried as quickly as she could to try and sort everything out... but by 11 o'clock her mailbox was still half full.

She was beginning to feel hopeless when suddenly she saw something that gave her a great idea.

Jack, may I borrow your skateboard please?" Millie asked one of the children. "I promise to return it as soon as I've delivered all my mail". "Sure, Millie," said Jack.

Millie had never been on a skateboard before, but she bravely stepped on. Millie wibbled and wobbled... and teetered and tottered... then she skidded and swayed... and WHOOOOSHED and WHIZZZZED down the street.

"Wheeeeeeeeee!" cried Millie with glee. "This is just what I need!"

Millie zoomed up and down the street at lightning speed. She had such a good time that the rest of her round seemed to get done very quickly.

"This is much faster than walking," she said, "and much more fun than my bike!"

At last Millie's deliveries were done. She returned the skateboard to Jack and had just enough time to rush back to the mail office.

"I'm back, Mr. Price!" she gasped, tripping over her bike as she staggered through the door. "Right on time!"

"I'm glad, Millie," said Mr. Price. "And I'm glad you're all right. The removal men brought back your bike I guess we'll have to mend that puncture right?" "Yes, Mr. Price". Millie returned to her home peacefully after having such a tiring day.