Home For Good [G] - the one in which Laurens comes home from the service

Start from the beginning

Hamilton stood in the doorway, holding one box of pizza and a box with breadsticks with confusion glazed over his eyes. Laurens, from around the corner, grinned at the glance of Hamilton's clothes that he had seen. The man's auburn hair was pulled back into a bun, which was messy and falling. He was wearing a sweatshirt and pajama pants. Obviously, he hadn't expected company.

Laurens stifled his elated laughter and remained behind the corner. As the pizza boy came back to the stairwell, one of the neighbors passed. She grinned in recognition and saluted him properly, waiting for his return salute to stand at ease.  She'd served when John was still in diapers and loved to remind him. "Laurens!  Are you just getting home from deployment? Look at that uniform of yours, you handsome thing."

"Yes ma'am," he told her. "Surprising my Alex."

"Aww, that's so sweet.  How long were you deployed this time? It's been a while."

"Just about thirteen months.  It was going to be fourteen.  I came back early."

"Really?  How are you?" she asked, well aware that typically, soldiers didn't just "leave early." 

"I'm already so much better now that I'm home."  He hadn't stopped smiling. 

"Good to hear."

"And how are you, ma'am?"

"Oh, I'm just fine.  Heading out to my brother's place for dinner, now.  Speaking of, I have to catch a bus.  I'll leave you to it, neighbor," she said.  "Tell Alexander I say hello."

"I will, thank youHave a good night."

The pizza delivery boy was standing around, politely waiting for Laurens to be finished with his conversation. 

"Is he back inside yet?" Laurens asked the pizza boy, who nodded after looking briefly. "Perfect," Laurens grinned, "Thank you so much. Happy holidays!"

"Happy holidays, and thank you for your service," the delivery boy returned, waving him off and heading down the stairs.

Laurens held the smaller box, one with breadsticks in it, in one hand, and in the other, he pulled his luggage. He knew Hamilton would be near the door in await of the pizza boy to return with whatever he had forgotten.

Laurens stood to the side and pressed the button. He did this purposefully in order to not allow Hamilton to see him through the peephole. There was shuffling before the door opened once again with a tired and confused Hamilton glancing around.

The second he saw Laurens, he lunged on him, even before Laurens could get out the line: "Pizza delivery."  Laurens may have dropped his bags and the soda and pizza box in favor of catching Hamilton, but it was worth it. He hugged him tightly around the torso and felt the shakiness of Hamilton's body as he did so. The shaking turned into something like tears and laughter, then something deep and unsteady. Hamilton pulled away.

In the most literate voice he could muster, already slurring and cracking, he said: "What the hell are you doing back so soon?"

"I missed you," Laurens said, signing it simultaneously. "And I lied."

Hamilton wasted no time attacking Laurens again. Laurens felt himself get emotional as well.

"I missed you so much," Hamilton signed, unable to even attempt to form words.  He was a blubbering mess already.  "I love you!"

"I love you," Laurens returned clearly. 

At this, Hamilton let out a short cry, tried to compose himself, and grabbed the soca from the floor of the hall.  He ran back into the apartment, Laurens following with his bag.  He closed the door behind him and took no time to look around.  Instead, he approached Hamilton and kissed him, tears and all, cupped face.