Chapter 11

I was awoken to the sound of machines beeping in my ear. I slowly opened my eyes; my vision was still very blurry. I looked around the unfamiliar room until I spotted Deandra sitting on one of the chairs in the corner. Still confused by what I was doing here I glanced at one of the machines and then panicked when I saw the pipe attached to my arm. I tried ripping them off from fear that something was wrong. In my experience when someone is attached to pipes it usually meant bad news. All the noise I made woke Deandra up and she quickly rushed to my side.

“Hey what’s wrong?” she asked. She held my hand preventing me from ripping off the pipes.

“These pipes” I said still trying to break free from her grip. “Why are there pipes?” I asked as fear began taking over my body.

“They just for you to get some iron” she reassured me.

“I’m not dying?” I asked.

“No silly” she laughed “Your iron was really low. That’s what caused the fainting” she said.

“I fainted?”

“Yeah” she pulled the chair closer and sat next to me “we were having lunch and then you suddenly felt sick and rushed to the bathroom. I began to wonder what’s taking you so long so I went to the bathroom and found you on the floor near the toilet. When you got up and were about to leave, you just fell”

“Thank God you were there” I said. Still in shock by what Deandra had just told me.

“The doctors ran some tests and said that you’re iron is low. She also said she has some good news to tell you, but that she will be back later to talk to you” Deandra shrugged.

“Good News?”

“That’s what she said”.

“Have you told my dad yet?” I asked.

“Yeah” she picked up a magazine that was placed on a table. “I explained everything to him. He should be here any minute now” she smiled and began paging through.

“His going to freak” I sighed and placed my head on the pillow.

“I managed to calm him down over the phone” she smiled.

Silence fell upon Deandra and I. while she continued flipping through the magazine i laid wondering what this good news is that the doctor spoke to Deandra about.

“Knock” my dad said while peeping through the door “How’s the patient?” he said before entering.

“She’s good” I smiled. I lifted myself up and made myself comfortable.

“What does the doctor say?” he asked before placing a kiss on my forehead.

“Nothing, just what Deandra told you over the phone.” I shifted uncomfortably “I only just woke up, the doctor had some errands to run so I haven’t seen her yet.”

“Okay, but how are you feeling?”

“I’m fine dad. Just a little weak, but I’m fine” I smiled.

My dad and I hated hospitals for one reason. The doctors say something, but in reality they mean the total opposite. When we rushed my mom to hospital that day, they told us that she would still make it, but the truth was that she was already dead the minute that car hit into her. Up till today we have no clue why they didn’t just tell us the truth, why did they give us such false hope.

“Miss Berry” a tiny brown-haired lady spoke. She was holding a clip board flipping though the pages “I have some news for you” she finally looked up and smiled.

“I’m her father” my dad shook her hand “is she going to be okay?” he asked.

“She’s going to be just fine” she placed the board on the table “She needs to stay for at least two days though just to make sure her iron doesn’t go down again.”

“Okay that’s understandable” my dad said.

“So doctor? What’s this good news you have for me?” I asked anxiously.

“You want to talk privately?” she asked.

“No it’s fine” I smiled “You can talk in front of them”.

“Well Martine” the doctor smiled “You’re pregnant!”

I looked at the doctor in disbelief. My dad couldn't believe his ears and Deandra awkwardly paged through the magazine "Oh Shit" Deandra muttered under her breathe. "You can say that again" i thought to myself.

 “I’ll leave you guys to it then” the doctor said sensing the tension. "don’t stay to long she needs her rest” the doctor looked at both Deandra and my dad.

As I watched the doctor leave I felt my fathers intense gaze pierce through my skin. I looked down at my stomach in complete shock. I wanted to call the doctor back to ask her to do another test but suddenly I remembered the time Justin and I had sex without using protection. I couldn't deny the truth; I was without a doubt Pregnant.