Chapter 6

With all the excitement of yesterday I completely forgot to call Justin to tell him the exciting news. Since we no longer needed to train I decided it would be even better if I told him in person, with no stress of a game anymore it was time Justin and I spent more time together and focused on our relationship. I woke up with such joy this morning, for once I could feel what it’s like to win something after wanting it so bad. I stretched out my arms and let out a sigh; but not one of frustration or disappointment but a sigh of relief. I was in a very good mood today and I wasn’t going to let anyone ruin it for me. I got out of bed and headed downstairs where I knew I would find my dad. Drinking his morning coffee and reading his newspaper like he always does.

“Bom dia daddy” I greeted as I entered the kitchen.

“It’s good morning in Portuguese” I chuckled at my dad’s confused expressing before kissing him on the cheek.

“Ready for Brazil I see” my dad smiled “Good morning sweety”

“I’m so excited” I said. Pouring some cereal into a bowl “Brazil is such a beautiful place”

“Think of all the exciting things we’re going to see” my dad smiled.

My dad folded his newspaper and took a sip of his coffee. “Any plans today?” he asked.

“I haven’t told Justin we won yet, so I’m going to surprise him and tell him in person” I smiled.

My dad nodded. “I’m going to sleep” he said before getting up “Being a coach is not easy”.

“Try being an actual player”

My dad chuckled before placing a kiss on my head. “Lock the door when you leave” he said before heading upstairs.

I placed my empty bowl into the sink and headed upstairs to go get ready for today. I hummed a tune to one of my favourite songs as I began picking out an outfit to wear. When I was satisfied with my outfit I laid it down neatly on my bed. I danced around while I let the bath water run in the tub. When the water was filled I checked the temperature before jumping in. I relaxed in the bath enjoying the moment of silence and the happiness I was experiencing.

Once I was done bathing and getting dressed I sat on my bed contemplating on whether or not I should call Justin first. I didn’t want to go all the way only to find he wasn’t at home but at the same time I didn’t want to spoil my surprise visit. No matter how toxic our relationship was I loved being around him, and all this happiness I was feeling; I wanted to share it with him. Without delaying any further I got up and headed out to the taxi stop.

After a 10 minute drive I finally arrived at Justin’s house. There were a lot of cars and people at his house “I wonder what’s going on” I thought to myself. It couldn’t be a party could it? It was only 11am and that was early even for a party animal like Justin. I knew that knocking wasn’t going to help so I followed a bunch of people who were heading to the back of the yard. The back yard was full of people dancing, swimming, drinking and some couples were cozied up on the beach chairs. I scanned around to see if I couldn’t find Justin, but he was nowhere in sight. I headed inside to see if I couldn’t find him but he wasn’t anywhere downstairs.

I covered my nose as the smell of alcohol breathe and morning breathe filled the air. I walked carefully up the stairs trying not to bump any of the half filled glasses that were placed on the steps. I bumped a few people until I finally reached a door that had a sign which read “ENTER AT OWN RISK”. As I was about to knock I heard two voices; one belonged to Justin and the other belonged to a girl.

Justin has cheated on me many times before and in all those times I’ve never actually seen the girl. Every time I confronted him he would lie and say that they are just friends. No matter how hard I tried to tell myself his lying I would always end up believing him and like I said earlier I would always end up sleeping with him. The sound of the door opening brought me back to reality “His all yours” the blonde skinny girl said walking out in nothing but one of Justin’s t-shirts; the same t-shirt I got him for his birthday.

I opened the door wide and found Justin lying with nothing but a sheet around his bottom section.

“Things never change do they?” I slammed the door causing Justin to jump up from shock.

“Babe- wha-yo-wha”

“Shut up” I cut him off.

“Why Justin?” I asked with tears threatening to fall.

He remained silent.

 “Why do you insist on hurting me like this?” I whispered.

He remained silent for a while. “I’m sorry” he said moving closer.

“Don’t!” I held my hand up “Don’t come any closer”

“Babe just give me a chance to explain” Justin said.

“You mean a chance to lie to me like you’ve done for the past 2 years”. The tears had fully developed and in a second all that happiness I felt was gone.

“I love you Martine”

“Love” I laughed sarcastically “This is not love. You don’t hurt the people you love Justin”

“I don’t know what to say”. Justin said looking down.

"For once I know exactly what to say" i paused for a moment "I'm done"

I turned around and stood for a few minutes. As I was about to open the door I felt Justin hold me. My body tensed up at his touch but as soon as he kissed my neck it un-tensed again. He turned me around and wiped my eyes with the back of his thumb “I’m sorry” he whispered before kissing my lips. I tried my best to fight this temptation, I tried not to give in to his lies again, but I failed.  And just like that I was right where Justin wanted me to be; in his bed naked.

I got home later that night and ran straight upstairs to my room. Without even getting dressed into my pyjama’s I threw my phone on my bedside tabled and  jumped underneath the covers. As the silence of the night filled my room; there I was not listening to the night crickets or night owls, but listening to the sound of my cry.