Chapter 12

A day has passed and not a word has been spoken between my dad and I. I could tell that he was very disappointed and in denial at the same time. The day the doctor told me I was pregnant he stormed out furious, he came back the next day and acted like nothing happened and as soon as the doctor mentioned how healthy the baby was he was furious all over again. I was only allowed to leave later on so my dad came to visit before the game between Columbia and Brazil. I don’t know why he bothered though because he never spoke to me or even looked at me, he just dropped a few stuff and then sat a while and then he would leave. This is not how I thought my trip to Brazil would end up; I was missing out on all Brazil’s matches. I didn’t even have time to think about Neymar at this point; I now have a new unnamed person to think of.

“Dad” I whispered.

He remained silent.

“I just want to say that I’m sorry” I sighed.

“You must be so disappointed in me”

“Disappointed?” he snapped back “I’m furious! How could you let this happen Martine?”

“I –I don’t know” I stuttered.

“You don’t know” he got up from the chair and started walking up and down the room. “How can you not know?”

I remained silent.

“I’ve always been there for you, cared for you, loved you. I know of a lot of men whose daughters fell pregnant at young ages because there went out seeking the love of a man because their dad’s are not apart of their lives. I did my best to make you feel loved and this is the thanks I get”

I continued to remain silent. I didn’t know what else to say to my dad besides sorry. This wasn’t his fault, I was stupid enough to believe Justin when he said that he had a condom on; I should’ve been able to feel the difference.

Tears came falling down my cheeks. “I made a mistake dad” I finally spoke.

“Getting me a pink shirt instead of blue is a mistake!” My dad exclaimed. Having sex without protection is not! “What did you expect would happen huh? Did you think that the course of nature would skip you just because?”

“No-I didn’t-I” I began to cry.

“I can’t deal with this now” my dad sighed “I’m going to check up on the others. I’ll be back later with new clothes”

“But-we need to talk”

“I said not now” my dad said before storming out the hospital room.

I wanted to call out to my dad to stay, but I knew it wouldn’t do any good. I think the worst thing any girl could go through in life is seeing her father look at her as if she was some stranger. The look in my fathers eyes were filled with disappointment and disgust and it made me feel disgusted and disappointed in myself. I took a deep sigh before laying my head down. The tears shifted its route, and came running down my nose as I lay on my side. I couldn’t hold back anything; all I could do was cry until I eventually fell asleep.

The sound of people screaming and emergency sirens had awoken me. I got out of bed and peeped out my window; I saw a bunch of people holding up “Get well soon” posters and “We Love You” signs. Confused by all the commotion I went out to one of the nurses to ask what was going on.

“Excuse me” I said to one of the nurses passing by my room.

“Yes” she smiled “How can I help you?”

“I just wanted to know what all the fuss is about” I asked.

“Haven’t you been watching the game?” she raised a brow.

“No- I was suppose to be in those stands so it’s a rather sad story” I shrugged.

“Well one of the players was badly injured.”

“Well do you know who it is?”

“Nope sorry”

“Okay thanks” I smiled.

She smiled back and continued walking.

I made my way back onto my bed to sit down. “I wonder which player got hurt” I thought to myself. I quickly grabbed the TV remote and turned to the channel where the match was being aired.

“Neymar Jr has been rushed to hospital” one of the commentators said.

My eyes widened as I heard those words coming through the television speaker. Out of curiosity I stood by my window as I watched the paramedics push the injured person through the doors of the hospital. I quickly ran to door and peeped as a bunch of doctors ran towards the paramedics. They only had one way to go to get to the emergency room and that was down the passage where my room was. I stood by the door, my heart racing fast and my body starting to get hot. As they approached I prayed for just one glimpse of my celebrity crush. “Even if he doesn’t see me Lord” I whispered with my eyes closed. I heard the voices getting closer and closer, I slowly opened my eyes and everything felt like it was going in slow motion. I stood by the door trying my best to get a peek, but at the same time not wanting to look eager in case he looked my way. As they got closer they began moving slower and there for a mere second our eyes met. I felt my breathe become heavy as I watched him being pushed away, I saw him get up and look at me. Our eyes were kept on each other until he was no more in sight.

And suddenly all the hurt I had been feeling left my body instantly. It may not have been a picture moment, but it was a moment nonetheless.