Something is off and it's not just my health system

Another sneeze shook my body. As I had feared would happen, I caught a cold after walking around in the cold wind with soaked hair two days ago. And the sickness was only getting worse.

If I didn't get better soon, I would have to consider cancelling the date with Klaus on Saturday. No wait, it wasn't a date. At least not a "date-date". We had just agreed to get a coffee together and talk a bit. Though that did sound like a real date.

I did still go to school, but with my head starting to ache and my nose running nonstop, I wasn't sure for how much longer I could keep this up. However, I did not want to miss any classes, so I dragged myself to school despite the cold.

My biggest worry, moreover, was not my health but rather Elena. Since yesterday, she had only texted short replies and wasn't really letting anything on. She felt off. I tried to calm my conscience that she might just be sad or annoyed, but deep down, I sensed something was wrong. I knew my best friend too well to write it off as her having "a bad day".

Bonnie wasn't answering at all, causing me to not even get info from her. No one talked to me and it wasn't like my friends to do so. We didn't have secrets from one another.

I kept thinking of this all morning, wanting to check my phone every five minutes. Finally, during lunch break, I decided enough was enough. If the girls wouldn't talk, I had to improvise. After a short consideration, I dialed Stefan's number. To my delight, Elena's boyfriend picked up right away.

"Caroline, I had a feeling I would be hearing from you soon enough," his voice echoed through my speaker. "Are you alone right now?"
"No," I answered, a bit startled, glancing over to the Mikaelsons. "Why?"

"This is better not discussed with unknown people near you," he said back, now only whispering.
"What is?" I tried to dig deeper.

"Well, I'm guessing you want to know why neither Elena nor Bonnie have answered any of your texts or calls." He was correct. "Since you're not alone, I'll just say this: there are complications and the girls are pretty messed up by it."
"Complications?" I repeated. "Could you be any less specific?"

"Don't go all Chandler Bing on me. Believe me, if you were alone and I had a moment of quiet, I would tell you everything, but I cannot leave the hospital right now and you're at school," he defended himself. I ruffled through my locks in desperation.

"Why are you in the hospital? Is one of the girls hurt?" I was overtaken by blatant concern.
"The girls are fine, physically at least. I will explain everything later," he promised, followed up by some distinct chatter in the background. "Of course, I'll be right there," Stefan said to someone on the other end. Quickly, he then told me, "I have to go, I'll call you again later."
Before I could say anything else, he had hung up.

Why would he just leave like that? He dropped the bomb of being at the hospital, now it seemed like something bad had happened there, so he hung up? Great! Totally helped my worries.

"Care, you okay?" Davina shouted from a bit further away. I put away my phone and rejoined their group.
"Yes, I'm fine, but there is something weird happening at home, which has me concerned," I answered.

"Still no reply?" Rebekah asked. I had already told her about this the day before, so she got what I was aiming at.
"My bestie's boyfriend called and said something about a hospital. I hope it's nothing serious." I started fidgeting with my hands out of nervousness. I didn't like this feeling. Being left in the dark and especially not being able to support my friends with whatever they were going through.

"If there is anything we can do to help, tell us right away, alright?" Rebekah let me know.
Davina nodded in agreement. "We are here for you!"
"Thank you," I smiled. "I appreciated that, truly."