18th Revenge

18th Revenge

Song of the Chapter - The Monster by Rihanna 

~~~~~~~~~~

Romeon POV

Am I going crazy right now? Am I hearing things? Did he say what I really wanted to hear all these years? Disregarding the fact that she is still in the grasp of hunters, is she really back? 

"A-are you sure it's her?" I asked, trying to get him to stay concious. Sweat was trickling down my forehead, waiting for his confirmation. 

Due to his injuries, he didn't stay awake much, leaving my question unanswered. Though, I can't really say they were  unanswered. I just wanted him to say those words again, to let myself know I wasn't dreaming. To let it sink in that my sister was really alive for all those years.

I let him go and let the medical wolves handle him. I panned to Edina and her watery eyes told me she was thinking the same as me.

Julie was back.

The girl we kept looking for was back. And even though I had no idea why they would bring my sister when they were attacking my pack,  I felt some relief. The fact that she was alive was all that mattered to us right now.

Another loud explosion blasted through the air, this time closer. The birds flew and everyone ducked for cover. The explosions they were setting off were torture to our ears. It was different from bomb explosions that we had in the past. This time, they were like blood curdling screams.  It took all my might to even keep my eyes open. It was even harder for the other wolves in the vicinity. They were curled up on the ground with the exception of my pack's best fighters, me and Edina. 

It didn't show much but Edina was having an internal struggle with herself. She wasn't planning on giving in to whatever was making everyone be like this, but it was clearly taking a toll on her. 

[Romeon, it's the smoke.] Noir said. 

[The smoke?]

[Yes. Our land is filled of trees which, when burned, are very poisonous to our immune system. The smell makes us delusional. Making us think there are things that aren't even there. We don't notice this because it only has a full effect on us when on  fire.]

[Remember the time we went hunting, one of our fighters cut open a tree and let some of its sap oozed out?  He felt sick when we got back. We should get them far away from those trees and let Dr. Udyr treat them. I know you can get sick for a week just by sniffing its sap, I have no idea what the aftermath would be with all of us inhaling this smoke.]

When he finished explaining someone suddenly let out a scream and writhed on the ground.

Noir was right. It's dangerous here. 

"Get everyone to the safe house!" I ordered. "The ones who can still stand, help the others walk! Tell Udyr the situation and those who are still healthy, bring gas masks when you go back. Hurry!" 

At my order, they all dispersed, not leaving anyone behind. I took my own wife in my arms and ran towards the safe house. It was underground,  in case we needed to escape threats. I saw one of my pack members help Edina but she refused. That girl was as stubborn as her good for nothing cousin. 

--

I laid my wife on a spare bed while all the medics were running around giving the antidote. Dr. Udyr was busy in his lab, creating more in case we need it later. 

"Alpha!" Someone came in rushing from the outside. I held up my hand to  tell them to  keep it down. I don't want them disturbing the rest of the sick.