FEARS AND DISCUSSIONS

Magsimula sa umpisa

At least there was that, Mark figured. At the end of the day the Autobots never didn't come out victorious. Even when the odds were stacked against them so greatly in Chicago and Hong Kong, they were able to fight back and win. "I just hope no one dies this time," Mark muttered. "I know I've only known you guys a few months... But I owe you guys everything for what you've done for me," He explained. "And I know you all lived through Hong Kong, but-."

"Hey," Sideswipe nudged him gently. "Nothing's going to happen to any of us, kid. We're gonna kick those Deceptifreaks, and Coulton back to the pit where they belong!" He stated rather enthusiastically, bringing out a sword for emphasis. "You just gotta have faith, Mark. As long as you have that, most things are possible."

"Did you just get philosophical on me?"

"Eh, I get one of those moments every orn or so."

Mark laughed a little at that, his eyes tracing their way back up to him. He couldn't imagine Sideswipe acting like this often, but at the very least, it was amusing to hear it once. "Alright, Ghandi," Mark teased lightly as he poked his leg. "But you're right, I guess I can't really worry yet. There isn't even a fight happening yet, so." He shrugged. "Maybe I'll just head to bed, it's been a long day and I need an escape."

"Probably a good idea," Sideswipe nodded. "Come on, I'll walk you to your room."

"You don't have to."

"You kidding me? If that freak Coulton is with them, I'm standing guard tonight." Sideswipe told him rather firmly. "That guy had a vendetta against you, Mark. The last thing I'm gonna do is let you sleep without someone watching over you."

Mark almost wanted to fight that, almost. But he also knew that Sideswipe was right to be worried, they all were all things considered. Taking a deep breath, he nodded, and allowed the silver mech to follow him to his room. He was definitely looking forward to a long night of sleep.

...

Hound was fairing no better than Mark was, his rage building up slowly. Primus knew he wanted to shoot Coulton dead, in fact, he would have given anything to at this point. And yet, he had to stay strong, and calm himself down for the sake of Mark at this point. The clear night did help, especially as he watched the stars slowly forming in the sky just outside the base. "Well, that was an... Interesting day," Hound turned his head as Crosshairs approached him. "At the very least, the girl seemed nice."

"It's not the girl I'm worried about," Hound admitted quietly. "It's the fact that not only is Coulton out there, but we could be right... We could have had a Decepticon pretender as our liaison and never known," He paused a moment, turning his head back to look at the stars. "One that we let abuse Mark, and treat us like slag for far too long."

Crosshairs nodded, his optics traveling up to the stars as well. It didn't surprise Hound that the mech agreed, after all, this was very disturbing. In a way, and int eh simplest of terms, they all felt violated by the man. And not for the first time, they even felt violated by the US Government. "I know how you feel, Hound. I'm angry as pit too," Crosshairs noted. "But you know what worries me most?"

"What?"

"If he's a 'Con," Crosshairs began with great hesitation. "He had so many opportunities to take Mark. Too many opportunities," Hound nodded in agreement there. "So why has he let him go this long without being captured? Why simply try and crush his spirits?" He questioned, rather logically, one might add. "Galvatron knows he could bring us to our knees if he used him. He already showed that the last time he was almost taken..."

Hound didn't answer for a long moment. After all, the conversation made him understandably uncomfortable considering it was his son they were talking about. Inside, the thought of Coulton having even tried to take him was a disturbing one. Was this his eventual intention? "Perhaps he was smart enough to know if he ever touched my youngling... I'd blast him into so many pieces he'd wish he'd never been sparked," Hound stated with a low growl. "I'd let him know my distaste for him enough, anyway."

Crosshairs nodded, and seated himself on the ground silently. "Don't make a mistake, Hound. We all would," Crosshairs shook his head. "We may have gotten off to a rough start, but Mark is family. We look after our own," He explained, voicing a truth he had come to realize. "And that's why I never worry about the small fry. We would all protect him given the chance. Even Mirage, for all his coldness at least cares that much."

Hound smiled, it was a nice though, even if he hoped it wouldn't have to be proven. Or at least not again anyway, not after the last time where they had nearly lost him to the Decepticons. "Do you still think I was wrong?" Hound asked, causing his friend to raise an optic ridge in confusion. "For taking him in... For bringing him into this at all," He explained. "Should I have just left him alone that day?"

It took Crosshairs some time to think over the question. If he had been asked it at the beginning, the answer would have been all too simple. He would have not even had to think about it. Yet now that he knew the boy, now that he'd come to enjoy his company... "No," Crosshairs stated plainly as he shook his head. "I think it's only thanks to him we've all learned to trust the humans again. If it hadn't been for him and the Yeagers, well, I'm not sure what would have happened," He replied honestly. "We needed him."

Hound smirked. "So you finally admit that, huh?"

Crosshairs wanted to smack his close friend upside the head, but knew better. There was nothing wrong with stating the truth, even if it did mean admitting that at a time, he had been very wrong. "Besides, would he have been any better on his own?" He asked honestly, something Hound had to think about. "Even with all that Coulton did, and might still do... He has us, he has our group, and the other NEST officers." He then added. "He would have been targeted by Galvatron out of anger for what happened to some of the Decepticons anyway. And if he was gone, who would protect him?"

Hound shuddered at the thought of what that would mean. Imagining him on the streets. Alone, scared, and cornered by one of Meagtron's officers, who would no doubt finish him off. It was a thought that he quickly pushed out of his head, trying to save his processor the unwarranted stress. "I suppose you make a point there," Hound replied, his voice low. "Either way, his father connected him to this war. It's best that we took him in."

"Glad you're able to see reason still."

Hound sighed, turning back to the base. He knew he wouldn't be recharging until this was all over, but he also knew he had to try. "I'm headed back in, it's late," He began calmly. "I'm going to go bid Mark goodnight and then try and get recharge myself," He looked at his friend with great concern. "You should try to do the same thing, since I know you'll be worrying and angry tonight too."

"I don't know if I can even bring myself to recharge."

"Suit yerself," Hound nodded. "Goodnight, Crosshairs."

The walk back into the base seemed much longer than usual. But he quickened the pace quickly as he started towards Mark's room. As if he worried that sometime while he was gone, something had happened to him. He walked in, however, to a peaceful sight. Mark laying, asleep in bed, and Sideswipe, leaning against the wall, recharging, but with his sensors clearly on. He approached the boy carefully, watching as Sideswipe woke for a moment at the new movement, but only relaxed, and returned to recharge after realizing there was no threat.

There was no doubt in his processor that Mark would be well protected tonight.

Carefully, he ran a finger along his son's back. Smiling widely, and keeping his optics on the boy carefully. Mark only snuggled deeper into his mattress, smiling at his foster father's touch, relaxing. It was a position that Hound was able to leave him in for the night, knowing he would be safe. And at least for now, he would be able to relax knowing Coulton, nor the Decepticons would come for him that night.