SO YOU WANT TO GO ON A DATE?

CHAPTER 39

So You Want To Go On a Date?

"There's no delicate way to put this, dad. So I'm just going to come out and say it," Mark began hanging the conversation the next morning over breakfast with Hound. "I've got my first date this Sunday."

Hound nearly spat his energon out, though he kept himself calm. His first date? Mark was going on his first date? When Hound had promised him dating advice, he didn't expect to be giving it so soon. "Mark, are you sure you're ready to be dating yet?" Hound asked, his optics filled with surprise. "Dating involves a lot of things beyond your fourteen year old comprehension."

"Dad, my other dad already gave me "the talk"," Mark cut him off quickly. "And besides, this is a junior, going to be a senior. How could I pass up a date with her," Hound's optics widened at that "What? Is that worse?"

"Worse?" Hound snorted. "M'boy, you didn't tell me this was an older femme," Hound stated with a fair bit of surprise and elation. "Oh boy, even if you aren't biologically mine, ye must have the old family charm in ye somewhere!"

Mark blinked at his foster father slightly, stunned at how excited he was. He shifted a little and whistled a little as the other soldiers seemed to look over at him in surprise. Well, the whole base would now know that he had a girlfriend. And needless to say he half expected a cavalry of car and truck tails on his date. "Well, at least you're taking this well," Mark laughed a little. "I'm half expecting Prowl to do the most through background check on her in the world."

Hound gave a loud laugh, even though he knew Mark was right. Prowl would run every background check in the book. After all, this was the youngest member of the Autobots they were talking about. This was the baby of the family so-to-speak, none of them were letting any girl they didn't know was good news dating the young lad. "Well yes, there will be a through background check on this Maria," Hound nodded in agreement. "You're the sparkling in our little "family" and we won't be having you get your heart broken."

"So you guys have to approve of who I date?" Mark asked in disbelief.

Hound gave a snort, and nodded his head as if this was nothing. Of course he was approving of the girl that Mark dated, that was a given. Anyone who dated his son was not going to have a massive criminal record for example. With no offense, of course, going to the Autobots old friend Mikaela. "Better believe it! Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of ye," Hound nudged his arm with a knuckle. "Ye got an older femme and you've impressed me. But yer still fourteen, and she has more experience in life I'm sure," He then added. "The pit will fill with water before I let you date anyone that would bring ye trouble."

"Are you going to at least teach me how to impress her?" Mark asked as Hound contemplated this for a moment. "Come on, dad. You promised, this was the deal," Mark pointed at him with a stern look. "I get a date, and you teach me how you got your bondmate. Sideswipe's already kinda helping me out, but I want it from both sides," He motioned towards where Sideswipe was sitting some ways off. "The young, new model," He then motioned to Hound again. "And the old rust bucket."

Hound quickly gave a mock glare, and began to play along with Mark's clear joke. "Old rust bucket? OLD RUST BUCKET!?" Mark was up and rushing to throw the trash away as he started to give chase to him. "Why you little runt, I'll have ye know I'm plenty young! I might just have to haul off and tickle ye for that one," He grinned as he rushed after the boy.

"Dad! Dad! Not in front of everyone," Mark laughed as the mech picked him up, beginning to tickle his ribs. "Dad! Not in front of the soldiers! They'll make fun of me," Mark laughed, though Hound didn't relent even for a moment. "Do you enjoy socially scarring your children for life?"